We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How aware of days that many places of interest are closed

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Topic
How aware of days that many places of interest are closed

I was surprised to find that many museums and galleries and restaurants in Vienna are closed on Mondays. Others are open Wednesday through Sunday and closed on Monday and Tuesday. We had planned to spend 3 days in Pargue, travel one day to Vienna, spend 3 days in Vienna, and then continue our travels.

As it worked out we traveled on a Sunday and arrived late in the afternoon at our hotel in Vienna. More than half the places we wanted to see are closed on Monday and we planned to leave on Wednesday morning to go to Salzburg. We were able to work around the problem but it meant more travel around the city as we could not cluster destinations with half open only on Monday and the other half open only on Tuesday during our visit.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
20,916 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How aware of days that many places of interest are closed

There is another business that keeps its doors closed on Mondays - the (classic) barber shops (although there are now some which are opened). It is common that museums are closed on Mondays, regarding restaurants I am a little bit surprised that you encountered so many closed ones...

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How aware of days that many places of interest are closed

I believe your assumptios regarding closings are misleading.

Restaurants - closed mondays - hardly- most all open certainly enogh to offer varied cuisine - price and convenient location.

A few city center restaurants close on Sundays - their main clients often workers and shoppers.

Shops and offices closed on Sunday.

Proper planning allows one to easily plan sightseeing-

Schonbrunn and Hofburg Palaces ( sisi exhibits. imperial apartments, silver exhibit )

are open daily -

Belvedere Palace open daily-

Most in the Museum Quarter open daily-

Haus der Musik daily and until 10 PM

All music venues open with performances most all days.

Churches open daily

Kunsthistorisches closed Monday only.

Treasury close Tuesday - certainly available and open other days.

Thus no end of things to do.

A little pre planning at any destination helps.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
14,094 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How aware of days that many places of interest are closed

As the States edges closer and closer to a 24/7 existence I think it's nice that many parts of Europe still have days off. Believe me, this is not peculiar to Vienna in particular or Austria in general - you'll find it in many European countries.

4. Re: How aware of days that many places of interest are closed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 12:16