We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vienna Passau train tickets for passengers and bikes

auckland
Level Contributor
163 posts
132 reviews
Save Topic
Vienna Passau train tickets for passengers and bikes

I bought 4 train tickets on the fahrplan.oebb.at website using the English version. I ticked the box "ticket with reservation for seat and bicycle". I only paid 19E pp because that is one of the options that was on offer. We will be travelling in June. I assumed the passage for the bikes was included because I had ticked that box. When I had made the purchase and received the ticket, there was no mention about bikes passage. As it was all written in German, I asked a friend to have a look. She says you cannot take bikes on an ICE train. I am at a loss as to how I ended up with tickets on a train that does not take bikes when I went through the process of ordering ticket with reservation for seat & bicycle. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,459 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vienna Passau train tickets for passengers and bikes

19€ sounds like a "plain" special fare without any extras. ICE trains are superior trains that do not offer bike transport. Are you actually booked on an ICE service? I would contact ÖBB customer care by calling +43 5 1717 and ask for an English-speaking agent. They will eventually change your ticket into one which is valid on a regular IC service (in conjunction with a regional train for the part from Wels to Passau).

auckland
Level Contributor
163 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vienna Passau train tickets for passengers and bikes

Thanks for the customer care phone no. I tried ringing it but couldn't get beyond the german automated message. I have a friend here that speaks German so maybe between the 2 of us we can sort this out.

Newport, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vienna Passau train tickets for passengers and bikes

Hello there, did you ever complete the trip? We are also looking to take bikes from Vienna to Passau, so would be interested to know how your experience turned out!

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
638 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vienna Passau train tickets for passengers and bikes

We took the train from Vienna to Linz and rode up to Aschach an der Donau, then rode back to Vienna. It is a wonderful experience. Austria is very bke friendly and the Danube trqils are very good. We rented bikes from Pedalpower in Vienna. The owner Rick, is an ex-pat American who is very helpful and is a fount of knowledge about the Danube bike path. We did our trip in May, brought our panniers from home with us to use on the bikes. The only place we reserved was up in Aschach an der Donau, other than that we would just find a village we liked and would find a room quite easliy. It may be more difficult finding rooms during the summer months, but it was a breeze in May.

Newport, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vienna Passau train tickets for passengers and bikes

Hi Operettaman

Thanks for this! We're really looking forward to it. Did you get your bikes on the train OK?

Rosie

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
638 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vienna Passau train tickets for passengers and bikes

Yes, just make sure you reserve on one of OEBB's trains that carry bikes. Their site should tell you which ones are bike trains. When are you planning for?

7. Re: Vienna Passau train tickets for passengers and bikes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2014, 07:17