We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vienna transport

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
vienna transport

Is the cat +cab from the airport easy to use

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
20,868 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vienna transport

Better take a reserved taxi from the airport. The CAT only runs every 30 minutes what may result in some waiting, while the (pre-reserved) taxi awaits you. Vienna's airport is relatively close to Vienna why the CAT does not really have that much attractiveness. In cities where the airport is located far off the city limits (e.g. Stockholm), a fast airport train pays off. For companies offering taxi transportation please use the search function of the forum or perform a google search!

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,271 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: vienna transport

I have taken the CAT a few times and love it (compared to taking the bus that I used to take years ago). It's a 16 minute ride and leaves you at Landstrasse where you can catch the Ubahn to other destinations. I prefer this to a taxi because it's less expensive. I think it's 10 Euros each way or 18 Euros if you buy your return trip at the same time.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: vienna transport

I fully agree with Mikey. CAT-CAB doesn't make much sense as you still have to wait for the train at the airport.

KimBux' advice that taking the CAT and then proceeding by public transport from Landstrasse will save you money is slightly misleading because the regular S-Bahn suburban train uses exactly the same track as the CAT from the airport to Landstrasse while it is way cheaper and takes only a few minutes longer.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
2,066 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: vienna transport

I think we could better advise you if you let us know your hotel. As mentioned above, the CAT is quite a rip off. For a fraction of the price, the best option is the S7 from the airport. In addition to the lower cost, the travel time is essentially the same. The S7 also stops at several key stations, not just Landstrasse/Mitte like the CAT. From one of these stations you should easily be able to take either the u-bahn or other public transport to your hotel.

Perth Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: vienna transport

Thank you for your help. We are staying at Kolingasse 5 9district.There are 4 of us +luggage thats why I was looking at taking the cat+cab its probarbly best if we take a taxi from the airport.

Wien, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: vienna transport

You can take a preordered taxi

It depends on the luggage

C&K offers a car up to 4 people 32 Euros

www.cundk.at/index.php…

Airportservice 35 Euros

http://www.airportservice.at/airport.htm

Redcab for 40 Euros a larger one

http://red-cab.at/Navigation/Preisliste

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
231 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: vienna transport

can I ask, why a pre-ordered cab instead of just picking one up at the airport? Is it cheaper to pre-reserve? or is there a wait to get one if you don't?

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
20,868 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: vienna transport

Yes, it is cheaper and a flat fare! If you pick one up at the airport (what is no problem at all), then you pay at least 40€. I usually take public transport from the airport or get picked up by friends/family but once, some years ago, I arrived extremely tired from Asia and decided to take a regular taxi. I paid almost 30€ - but I live relatively close to the road someone needs to take when driving from the airport the center. So it actually depends on where you need to go. But in most cases people go to the center or beyond for which a pre-reserved taxi is better.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: vienna transport

Great information! Do any of these pre-reserved taxis offer child safety seats for small children? We will be traveling with a 3-yr old. Thanks!

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: vienna transport

I'm visiting Vienna next month and booked a car through Viator which came to £34.66. Expensive I think but we get in late and it takes us straight to the hotel so worth it for the convenience I think. :)