We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Destination Vienna, but via Salzburg or Munich

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Destination Vienna, but via Salzburg or Munich

I am planning to stay in Salzburg and Vienna for two nights each. But not sure if the train route from Munich to Salzburg is more scenic or from Salzburg to Vienna is better. Because I have the option of flying into Munich or Salzburg.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
20,498 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Destination Vienna, but via Salzburg or Munich

The views between Salzburg and Vienna aren't spectacular but partly very nice. You won't see any mountains but fresh meadows and many fields. Especially the canola fields are nice to see. If Munich is not part of your itinerary, then I'd directly fly to Salzburg.

Manchester, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Destination Vienna, but via Salzburg or Munich

My intention is to get some breathtaking views of the alps and visit Vienna. Any possibility of setting foot on the alps is a bonus, I have 5 days, 4 nights. Any itinerary suggestion would help.

Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Destination Vienna, but via Salzburg or Munich

On the train ride from Munich to Salzburg, the mountains and large forests start mid-way ---- south of Prien am Chiemsee.

As stated above, as you leave Salzburg and head to Vienna, the landscape is gently rolling hills, at best.

If you can add an extra night to your itinerary, take the small rail spur south from Attnang-Puchheim and go to Hallstatt for one night. You'll really get a beautiful view of mountains and lakes on this route into Salzkammergut.

Manchester, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Destination Vienna, but via Salzburg or Munich

Thank you for the two replies, really helping. Now am thinking of excluding either Munich or Vienna from my itinerary so that I can explore Salzburg properly, since there is Salzkammergut and Hallstatt as must sees. Would I need a car while in Salzburg, to move around, since I would have my wife and three year old girl with me?

Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Destination Vienna, but via Salzburg or Munich

You really owe it to yourself to visit Vienna (my favorite city in the world!) (and I've been almost everywhere)!

For scenery: Salzkammergut

For history, culture, old-world atmosphere: Vienna

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,226 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Destination Vienna, but via Salzburg or Munich

@Castleblanca - me, too... I've been to Vienna too many times to count - somewhere around 17 or 18.

7. Re: Destination Vienna, but via Salzburg or Munich

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 08:40