We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellow Ring Tram

Cullman, Alabama
Level Contributor
619 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Yellow Ring Tram

I understand there is now a Yellow Ring Tram that makes a complete full circuit but is a little pricer than using Tram 1 and then Tram 2.

I was wondering how much more expensive it is and where the overlap stations are for Tram 1 and Tram 2 if we wanted to take tram 1 in one direction and then tram 2 back in the other direction as opposed to this new Yellow ring tram. I am curious to see the cost difference as I cannot seem to find it anywhere.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
14,492 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellow Ring Tram

You'll find answers to how to use trams 1 & 2 here:

tripadvisor.co.uk/…28835549

Note that you take the two trams in the SAME direction and that a single ticket (which covers the whole circuit) now costs €2

For the yellow tram prices look here:

wienerlinien.at/eportal/…-28163

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yellow Ring Tram

It's crazy to pay extra for the ring tram if you are already buying a transportation card. I think this is the worst tourist trap in Vienna... and I LOVE Vienna. I was very disappointed when I saw the yellow tram and the price. If it was one Euro - maybe. But, when you can take the 1 and 2 and get the same result, it's not worth the money.

Cullman, Alabama
Level Contributor
619 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yellow Ring Tram

Wow your right....14 Euros vs 2 Euros....and for what, staying on 1 tram???

That is a rip off. Personally we will take trams 1 and 2 and get to see the same thing for a fraction of the price of the Yellow Tram.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
14,492 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yellow Ring Tram

Not quite right. It costs €7 or a single circuit which is the equivalent of the €2 single circuit with trams 1 & 2. That includes an individual audio-visual display explaining the sights in a choice of languages. €9 lets you hop on and off the yellow tram for 24 hours and €14 includes a 24 hour pass for the entire transport system as well. I'm not saying it's good value, just setting the record straight.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
638 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yellow Ring Tram

Norman,

I saw that Tram when we were there over Christmas. What a shame that they added that. Seems to take away from the stately old "Bims" and replace with too much Disneyland effect.

Edited: 15 May 2012, 21:04
Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
14,492 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yellow Ring Tram

I know what you mean. I still hanker after the old style "bim" with their steps, high floors, wooden seats and noisy ride. I know the new, level-entry ones are more disabled/pushchair/luggage friendly, but they don't feel like "bim".

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
638 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yellow Ring Tram

So very true. Everytime I ride one of the Bims (especially at night) I feel like I hear Anton Karas playing in the background. Whoops, I've slipped back into Carol Reed/Graham Greene mode. Pardon me Mr Lime.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
638 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yellow Ring Tram

We need Vertical to weigh in on this!

Edited: 16 May 2012, 03:52
Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
1 post
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yellow Ring Tram

The yellow ring tram is E7 per person. The ride is about 30 minutes. You can find the tram at designated tram stops.

An audio tour guide is provided. At some point during the ride, it's not easy to catch some details of the commentary if the important sites are close to each other and you'd be confused where to turn your head as the tram keeps on going. The tram has gone past some important building or monument while the commentary about it is not yet completed.

It would be better if passengers can have a second 30-min ride, if they feel a need for it. As it is, the experience, for me, is quite thin. If I didn't take that ride with my family, we would not have missed much. Certainly, we could say we have gone around the Ringstrasse to see the sights, but we can't recall enough details. It was a quick trip for us in Vienna.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
14,492 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yellow Ring Tram

You're confirming what we often say - it's not worth the money!