We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Krems or Durnstein

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City
Level Contributor
41 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Krems or Durnstein

I'll be Vienna in early August and have planned 2 days to go down the Danube, stay overnight in either Krems or Durnstein, then go to Mathausen and return that day. The guidebooks seem to suggest that Durnstein is more charming. Looks like I can take a boat from Vienna to Krems (or Durnstein?); then the following day go to Mathausen and then return to Vienna by train. Does this sound like a good plan?

Any other suggestions for an overnight hop out of Vienna for a change of pace? (I"ll be there for 8 nights, so I have the time.)

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
13,835 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Krems or Durnstein

If you do what you suggest you will only sail a fairly boring part of the Danube from Vienna to Krems. The most interesting stretch is between Krems and Melk. This is called the Wachau and is very scenic indeed. I would look again at your itinerary and perhaps use the train between Vienna and Krems and incorporate either Krems-Dürnstein-Melk by boat or the opposite journey.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Krems or Durnstein

As Norman says above, the portion of the river between Vienna and Krems is not interesting/nothing to see. You should travel to Krems by train from the Franz-Josef Bahnhof in Vienna. Trains are very regular: www.oebb.at

Once in Krems, you can join a cruise taking you to Melk, stopping at various villages in between - Dürnstein, Spitz, and Weissenkirchen are notable. This area is called the Wachau, and is a designated UNESCO World Heritage Site. http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/970

Cruise companies include Brandner and DDSG: www.ddsg-blue-danube.at; www.brandner.at.

Melk is famous for its abbey, of course, which is a must see.

This stretch is also very nice to do by bike. Search this forum for companies offering bike rentals. There is a designated bike trail which is flat and easy; this way also allows you to visit the villages at your own pace.

I would recommend staying in Dürnstein, rather than Krems. Krems is a much larger town and, although it has a lovely character, I think Dürnstein reflects the feeling of the Wachau better. It is very small, medieval and has numerous pensions. There are also a couple of upscale hotels.

I can't really comment on Mauthausen as I haven't been there, but it looks like you can reach it from Krems in about 2 hours.

New York City
Level Contributor
41 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Krems or Durnstein

Thank you so much -- your response was very, very helpful!

New York City
Level Contributor
41 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Krems or Durnstein

Hi Cherries Jubilee --

I'm a weekend bike rider at best -- so wondered how far each of these towns is from one another. I like the idea of biking so long as the towns are reasonably close to each other.

Would it take 1/2 hr ? an hour? by bike (going at a casual pace) to get from Durnstein to Spitz, and from Spitz to Weissenkirchen? Then would I pick up the boat from there back to Vienna?

Julie

Sydney
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Krems or Durnstein

Hi. Comments above are all valid but you can easily visit both. I've stayed at Krems and travelled by the regular boat service between Krems and Durnstein. In Durnstein you can climb to the ruins and just relax and marvel at the scenery. I just like walking around and looking at buildings and loved the old shopping street of Krems. (Ask for directions to the old part of town when leaving the railway station. There is a tourist information booth there that can also help with accommodation.) The same boat service goes to Melk.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
638 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Krems or Durnstein

Bike trail is easy from Krems to Durnstein and on to Spitz. If memory serves you can get to Durnstein in 1/2 hr or less from Krems. Easy for anybody. Spitz is not that far down the path from Durnstein and an easy ride as well. One of the experts here can most likely give you info on where to rent a bike in Krems. I recommend you take the train from Wien to Krems, as Norman said the segment between Krems and Wien is really not very good.

Sydney
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Krems or Durnstein

Just dropped in on Krems and Durnstein (once again). Great lunch in Durnstein at the heurigen called Alter Klosterkeller, Anzuggasse 237. Right off the boat then first or second left. House white is a great for lunch, light on palate and no aftertaste. Pork ribs (12euros) was so good I took another as takeaway. Ask for a table on the roof terrace - fantastic view.

8. Re: Krems or Durnstein

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 22:17