We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Krakow to Vienna sleeper train - Prices?

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Krakow to Vienna sleeper train - Prices?

I'm trying to find prices for the sleeper train from Krakow to Vienna but I can't book through ÖBB (it won't let me). I will be travelling in September. Tried emailing a few places but have received no replies.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
816 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Krakow to Vienna sleeper train - Prices?

Because your trip begins in Poland, you have to buy the ticket through Polish State Railways:

http://rozklad-pkp.pl/bin/query.exe/en?

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,545 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Krakow to Vienna sleeper train - Prices?

I'm not sure it is possible to buy it on-line from Polish railways. Here is a guide to try just in case it is europetrainsguide.com/Advice/…Poland-PKP.html

If not. buy when you get to Poland, or in advance from a reliable agency such as www.polrail.com (NOT Rail Europe/Eurail or similar)

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Krakow to Vienna sleeper train - Prices?

I'm aware that I will probably have to buy my ticket when I get to Poland, but I would like to know the prices so that I can budget for it. I emailed Polrail about a week ago but received no reply.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,545 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Krakow to Vienna sleeper train - Prices?

Approximately €45-55 with sleeper compartment.

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Krakow to Vienna sleeper train - Prices?

Thanks GCEK. Would that be a sleeper compartment for 1? It will be my girlfriend and I sharing a compartment, I assume the price will be similar?

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,545 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Krakow to Vienna sleeper train - Prices?

A sleeper compartment for 1 is outrageously expensive as you have to buy a first class ticket and a single supplement. Much better and cheaper to get one compartment for 2. The price I quoted above is ballpark and assuming you get a special offer ticket, so you should buy the ticket as soon as you get to Poland. OR contact Jeffrey at www.polrail.com - keep trying, he might just have missed your e-mail.

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Krakow to Vienna sleeper train - Prices?

Finally got some replies. Polrail quoted me 1046 PLN (€250) for both of us in a 2 person sleeper. OEBB quoted me €211.20 for the both of us, but didn't tell me if they could send tickets to Australia. These seem to be quite high, will the prices be cheaper if I buy them from Krakow when we arrive a few days beforehand?

Wien, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
3,833 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Krakow to Vienna sleeper train - Prices?

That is a correct price for a sleeper for 2. If you want to save money try to get a couchette.

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Krakow to Vienna sleeper train - Prices?

So the price GCEK quoted (€45-55) is incorrect?

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,545 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Krakow to Vienna sleeper train - Prices?

That is the price of the special discounted berth - see europetrainsguide.com/Countries/Poland/Polan…

Otherwise the price quoted above by Polrail is the standard price. You can always 'risk it' by buying in Poland - it is unlikely that all of the berths will be booked up, but you may or may not get a discounted ticket. The only way to be more sure of getting one of those is to buy in person in advance in Poland. A few days beforehand may or may not be sufficient - it is really impossible to tell how many people have booked before you, hence the vague answer :)

PS I believe Polrail have an arrangement whereby you can pick your tickets up when you arrive, or they can be delivered to an address of your choice.

Edited: 26 July 2012, 16:13
Get answers to your questions about Vienna