We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are These Still Available in Vienna?

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Shenandoah Valley...
Level Contributor
189 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Are These Still Available in Vienna?

When we were in Vienna some 35 years ago, the wine glasses we encountered in virtually every heuriger were all alike. They had a green base that was hollow and flared out with a clear glass bowl atop it. They came in t two sizes, a 1/8 and 1/4 liter glass with a line at the top that marked the fill line. In looking at pictures of present day heurigers I no longer see these glasses. I have a set of 1/8 liter glasses but would like to buy a set of 1/4 liter when we are there. Does anyone here remember these glasses?

Here is a link to an eBay listing if I am permitted to post it here. ebay.com/itm/…

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,230 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are These Still Available in Vienna?

I was in Vienna in April 2012 (dinner in Grinzing) and don't remember seeing those wine glasses. The glasses being used still had the markings but were not as described above.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are These Still Available in Vienna?

You still find these glasses many places. These often seen in traditional settings.

Many heurigers traditionally use a 1/4 mug type clear glass with handle for the " heuriger" wine .

The large store Leiner on Mariahilferstrasse has a large glass department.

Perhaps you can find these there. But often seen in various glass or furnishing places.

Several years ago, I purchased a set in a small shop in Spitz on the Danube River.

The shop is on the left side of the street leading up from the ferry boat towards the village square.

Shenandoah Valley...
Level Contributor
189 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are These Still Available in Vienna?

Thanks, Vertical!

I don't think we will get to Spitz, but I can look at Leiner on Mariahilferstrasse. It is the mug type glasses that I have seen in more recent pictures of wine drinking of the new wine. Never saw those before! I may print up a picture of the green-based wine glass to take with me so that the store clerks will know what I am talking about.

4. Re: Are These Still Available in Vienna?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2013, 10:15