We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grocery shopping on Sunday

Staunton, Virginia
Level Contributor
33 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Grocery shopping on Sunday

I know commerce is generally closed on Sunday in Vienna(and hurrah for that!) but what about The Necessities of Life, like grocery stores? We are staying on Pelikangasse in 1090, and there seem to be grocery stores in abundance nearby (two Billas, a SPAR, a DM,and several others). Before I venture out with my little bag (see below) is this a fruitless (tee hee) pursuit?

Ancillary question: As you have to bring your own bag to the store (or buy one there), where can I get a simple string bag of the kind I knew here 40 years ago?

Shoetation
Gift & Speciality Shops
Meinl am Graben
Department Stores
die Hollerei
Gift & Speciality Shops
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
816 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Grocery shopping on Sunday

There are a few supermarkets open at some railroad stations, for example, at Franz Josef Bahnhof (Julius Tandlerplatz).

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grocery shopping on Sunday

The grocery stores near you will be closed on Sunday. You will find a Billa at Franz-Josef, as described above, open as well as a Bipa, which is like a drug store without the drugs. In addition, the Billa at Prater and a Merkur at Westbahnhof are also open - but that's it.

Staunton, Virginia
Level Contributor
33 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grocery shopping on Sunday

Herzlichen Dank to penguin65 and Cherries_Jubilee. It is as I had thought -- if you are desperate, there are places easy to get to. We have enough on hand to get us to Monday (especially as we are heading out to the Albertina for culture and then food). My spouse has a amassed a list of restaurants open on Sunday, so we are in scant danger of starving.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
24,756 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grocery shopping on Sunday

Some bakeries (Ströck, Felber) also open on Sundays. It is not recommendable to go to BILLA at Praterstern. This supermarket is congested at most times. It may take 20 minutes to check out (although all check-out positions are open).

Staunton, Virginia
Level Contributor
33 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grocery shopping on Sunday

Thanks, Mikey_Vienna

Wien, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
4,030 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grocery shopping on Sunday

You can bring your own bag. Larger Plastik and Paper bag costs extra.

7. Re: Grocery shopping on Sunday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2013, 10:17