We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is vienna expensive...?

Thessaloniki, Greece
5 posts
Save Topic
is vienna expensive...?

we are two families and we are thinking to go vienna at christmas but

i think is very expensive...thank you!!!

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,519 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is vienna expensive...?

What do you consider as expensive?

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
15,354 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is vienna expensive...?

Compared to? I can tell you from very recent experience it's much cheaper than Paris or London

Thessaloniki, Greece
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: is vienna expensive...?

first of all the food...and then the prices of hotels...

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,519 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is vienna expensive...?

Beer (500ml): 3.50-4€

Main dish at restaurant: 8-12€

Slice of pizza: 2.50-3.00€

Public transport - 1 ride: 2€

Masontown
Level Contributor
185 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is vienna expensive...?

Just returned yesterday from our trip there and it is certainly not an expensive city at all. Dinners for two were between 25 and 45 euros, with no alcohol though, lodging much less than London, Paris, Rome, New York.

Transportation is inexpensive since there is no reason to utilize cabs, public transportation is extensive, various plans to chose from to best serve your needs, regularly scheduled, clean, and safe.

Belgrad
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: is vienna expensive...?

Hi, I am from Belgrade in Serbia. During past two years i have been 5 times i Vienna with my husband. It is not expensive. You can buy food in supermarkets and it that. I buy at Hofer, you can find it at many places in Vienna. A week ticket for metro, buses and tram is 15 euro. And there is 24 or 48 or 72 hours ticket, too. We always have nice time in Vienna and we do not spend much money.

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is vienna expensive...?

Any vacation is as expensive or inexpensive as you make it! If you really want to go to Vienna, you will find a way. Rent an apartment so that you have a kitchen and storage. It's not necessary to eat out every meal - you can buy food at the supermarket and prepare meals yourself. There are many things to see in Vienna that are free. I LOVE VIenna and I think you will too!

Wien, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
3,748 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is vienna expensive...?

For lunch you will find many restaurants offer lunch menu from 5,5 - 8 Euros.

Brighton and Hove...
Level Contributor
54 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is vienna expensive...?

I would say that it's on a par with many of the capital cities in Western Europe - London and Paris for example. However, unlike in London, you can get some first rate street food in Vienna and the Christmas Markets do provide plenty of inexpensive options if you don't mind eating 'out'. Ah, I would sell my mother for a tasty kartoffelpuffer! (Well, perhaps two or three...)

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
15,354 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: is vienna expensive...?

Have to disagree with the Prof - see answer 2 above. I've been to all three cities in the last 9 months so speak from first-hand experience.