We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Standing room tickets for Vienna State Opera

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Flower Mound
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Standing room tickets for Vienna State Opera

We will be in Vienna for almost a week in November. On the 10th, we would like to try and get standing room tickets to Verdi's La Traviata. We are not opera buffs, but I've been there once, while in college there in late 70's, would love to show my husband what a fantastic place it is.

I have read all about the line, the scarves, and excellent "don't you dare to cheat" cooperative.

My question: For this particular performance, do you think we need to plan to get in line hours and hours before? Or, 2 hours would be good enough?

And to all contributors: thank you for your inputs. I have learned so much just by reading your answers, I can get around Vienna with closed eyes.

(Norman, love the story about your uncle)

Annapolis, MD
Level Contributor
82 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Standing room tickets for Vienna State Opera

Unfortunately, probably closer to 'hours and hours'. Although the conductor/cast are not star-studded, it is a weekend performance and, of course, is Verdi. Only 185 Euro and up tickets remaining!

Flower Mound
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Standing room tickets for Vienna State Opera

Thank you for the reply. Yes, it is Saturday... We will have to leave most of the day free and patiently wait. I understand, it is okay for one of us to leave for a quick bite or coffee while waiting?

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Standing room tickets for Vienna State Opera

I believe two hours will be enough, three maximum. Yes, it's Verdi and it Saturday, but it's November 10th (relatively few tourists) and while the cast is very good, I can't see any superstars which will draw hordes of local opera-buffs.

If you plan visiting places in the central district that afternoon, you can pass by the opera house three hours before and check how many people are already waiting at the standing-room entrance (under the Arcades on the left flank of the building as seen from Ringstrasse). Note that up to a certain point, people line up outside the locked door and then, they are let in and sometimes, the line comes out of the door again, which isn't necessarily a bad sign. Remember that there are 550 standing room tickets and each person in the line can buy one ticket only.

It usually isn't a problem for one of you to leave for a quick bite or coffee, but you might want to tell it to or even ask the person behind you, especially if it's a local to make sure he'll remember you when you return and to avoid misunderstandings.

Edited: 02 October 2012, 06:04
Flower Mound
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Standing room tickets for Vienna State Opera

nemorino, thank you for your advise.

We will walk by earlier in the day to check out the line for the tickets. I think I'm well prepared now...

5. Re: Standing room tickets for Vienna State Opera

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 07:17