We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 day vist with 5 yr old in early December

lincs, uk
Level Contributor
63 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
3 day vist with 5 yr old in early December

Does anyone have ideas what would be fun for a 5 yr old child on a 3 day visit to Vienna, I understand there were childrens workshops at the Rathaus last Christmas but cant find any information as to what is available this year.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
2,481 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 day vist with 5 yr old in early December

Your specific dates would be helpful. If you are coming around Christmas, the markets are great fun for the kids. Lot of kid friendly stuff happening at the Rathaus Market as well as the one at Karlsplatz. As you mention there are numerous activities happening inside the Rathaus for kids. I have always just gone in without any advance planning and my kids have been able to join in on anything that strikes their fancy.

Here what I wrote on a similar post many months ago with regards to small kids in Vienna:

Vienna is a great place for small children - I should know as I have two of them. Much more to do than just the zoo. Keep in mind that Vienna is a small capital and easy to navigate. Strollers can be taken pretty much anywhere. Always something happening that is kid-focused, especially in the warmer months. Check out Wien Xtra for specific events (http://www.wienxtra.at/).

Here are some ideas for your trip:

1 - Wien Museum is often overlooked, but it is a great place to understand the city better. There are even some Klimt's and other worthwhile art exhibits on the upper floors. What makes this nice for small kids, is that in the cafe atrium there is a nice, large play area for toddlers. Also a Lego table in the gift shop. We usually tag team with one parent exploring the museum while the other sits in the cafe watching the kids.

2 - Aquarium (Haus des Meeres) is located off of Mariahilfer Strasse which is a major shopping area. The Aquarium is perfect for toddlers - my kids love it. Also a playground adjacent. Good place to go if the weather is bad.

3 - Schonbrunn - Numerous sites here geared towards kids. Of course the zoo, but also check out the Irrgarten (contains a labyrinth, maze and very good playground), children's museum, strudel making show, etc. Note: many indoor exhibits at the zoo, so don't let the weather put you off.

4 - Technical Museum - This is very close to Schonbrunn and in addition to very interesting, child friendly exhibits, they have a great play area. In the play area they have a "car" you can make repairs on, a neat slide, a real firetruck with costumes, etc. Also a good choice on a bad weather day.

5 - Haus der Musik - in the First District and has loads of musically interactive activities for small children.

6 - Feed the ducks in the Stadtpark. This is a lovely park, even in the winter time. There is a good playground for smaller children across the canal bridge.

7 - Minopolis - This is located at the Vienna International Center (VIC) stop of the U1. Minopolis is a city for children where kids can "work" in shops like the grocery store, build building, patrol the "streets" in police costumes, etc. This is so well done and a great activity for smaller kids. www.minopolis.at

8 - Prater - the Ferris Wheel is a must for small kids. There is also a small steam train in the Prater which is fun and near to the ferris wheel. Note: not as pleasant in the cold weather.

9 - Visit a heuriger. Kids are very welcome at heurigen and many of them have playgrounds. My favorite one with the kids is Weingut Feuerwehr Wagner (http://www.feuerwehrwagner.at/). This one is easily reachable by Tram D then changing to bus 38A at Grinzingerstrasse. Good, home cooked Austrian food and lots of room to make noise.

10 - MuseumsQuartier - this is home to the Zoom Children's Museum. Very interactive. The Zoom Ocean exhibit is basically a big play area with a huge boat. Was a hit with my kids and language won't be a barrier. Need to reserve a place in advance, though. There are other child friendly options in the MQ. Check out this site for more details. www.mqw.at/en/category/…

I would also recommend the Dschungel Cafe located across from Zoom. Good food and extremely family-orientated. Every table has small kids.

11 - Natural History Museum. Nice, new dinosaur display.

For cafes, I like to take my kids to Cafe Prueckel, located on the ring. Very traditional and they have a large non-smoking room. Best part is the dessert display.

On hotels, best bet would be in districts 1-9, with the First District the most convenient for the majority of the sites.

Have a great trip.

Mentioned in this post
Cafe Prueckel
Cafe Prueckel
622 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
Wien, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
4,041 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 day vist with 5 yr old in early December

Minopolis will be closed soon . So better check before it is still open

lincs, uk
Level Contributor
63 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 day vist with 5 yr old in early December

Thank you so much, will print off your replies to take with us, going 2-4 Dec.

New York
Level Contributor
24 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 day vist with 5 yr old in early December

Nusha,

We recently spent 5 nights in Vienna with a six year old. She loved Vienna. The list provided here is very good and comprehensive of many of the places we visited. The highlights for our daughter in no particular order: Haus der Musik, climbing the tower to the top of Stephansdom, riding the Trams, the Sausage stands and cake at the fancy cafes.

Enjoy

Steve

Edited: 16 October 2012, 19:46
Wien, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
4,041 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 day vist with 5 yr old in early December

As I just a had a 4 year old guest

his favorite : riding the Liliputbahn (ok no option in December) , taking the lift in the Danube Tower and running around the platform , using the underground (as there isn't one in his city) , explore Hause des Meeres http://www.haus-des-meeres.at/en/start.html - hardly could get him out of there and eating as many chocolate cakes as possible ;))

Mentioned in this post
Danube Tower
Danube Tower
1,249 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
6. Re: 3 day vist with 5 yr old in early December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2013, 10:15