We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on 72 hour travel card

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
639 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on 72 hour travel card

We are a large group of 14 arriving Vienna on a Friday night at around 11pm and travelling to a hotel in the centre...returning Monday pm.

I am thinking the most economical way will be for us to purchase a 72 hour travel card each?

If so, can we get this in a machine at the airport? And do we pay a supplement before getting on the airport train?

Or would a Vienna Card be best as I think that includes the airport link?

Help would be very much appreciated. I just can't work it out.

Edited: 18 October 2012, 09:34
Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
20,121 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on 72 hour travel card

The last train leaves the airport at 23:18 hours, so this is not going to work. Better take two pre-ordered taxis of van size. Red Cab (http://red-cab.at/) offers vans which can accommodate up to 8 persons. The price is 40€.

Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
639 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on 72 hour travel card

Thanks Mikey - we are going to the Hotel Kummer on Mariahilferstr. Quite near to Wien West Bahnhof.

I had seen an airport bus link? Have you got views on that?

Wien, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
3,415 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on 72 hour travel card

yes you can take the bus. The last 2 are 23:30 and 23:59

timetable

http://www.oebb.at/busplan2012/118700.pdf

Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
639 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on 72 hour travel card

Thanks very much... I have had a look at Red Cab and that does look good and seems to be our best option given the time of night and our group size. We will then look to buying a travel card for city travel on Saturday.

Thanks for your help, both.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
20,121 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on 72 hour travel card

The airport buses though cannot be used with regular tickets. In any case you need to pay the fare of 8€ each. The minivan taxi thus is even cheaper than going by airport express bus.

Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
639 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on 72 hour travel card

Thanks very much for recommending Red Cab, Mikey. It really is a great option.

I have now booked two minibuses with them from the airport to hotel and return trip. Very efficient booking process too, so all paid for and sorted.

Shared between the 13 of us, It works out as about £10 per person for a return trip, which is amazing.

Many thanks.

Edited: 18 October 2012, 19:44
7. Re: Advice on 72 hour travel card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2013, 10:17