We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo female first time in Vienna

Brisbane...
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Solo female first time in Vienna

This Nov/Dec is my first time travelling alone and my first stop is Vienna. I'm staying there for three nights and I've been looking for hostels and I've come up with two options.

tripadvisor.com.au/…REVIEWS

http://www.booking.com/hotel/at/meininger-downtown-sissi.en-gb.html?aid=323786;label=hotel-307672_Pool-comau_Slice-99999;sid=9fb74f14c483dbce6be4a6b12909733c;dcid=1

Any advice or recommendation would be gratefully appreciated :)

Another thing,

as I'm travelling in Winter, I've heard most museums shut down in Vienna. Is it so bad that it's not worth trying? What can you see in Winter?

Much Thanks

Jay

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
2,160 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo female first time in Vienna

These hotels/hostels are both equally distant from center. Neighborhoods are both ok, but not that interesting. Public transport is easy to reach from both. The first one is located in the 7th District near a major shopping street. The second one is located in the 2nd District in a historically Jewish area.

I am not sure where you got the idea that museums close in winter. That just isn't the case at all. Additionally, if you will be here in Nov/Dec you will get to enjoy the Christmas Markets as well. Not a bad time at all to be in Vienna.

Edited: 27 October 2012, 07:46
Brisbane...
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo female first time in Vienna

Thanks for your quick reply!

If that is the case for both hostels, are there any others that you would recommend?

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
14,504 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo female first time in Vienna

Look at Wombats near the Naschmarkt

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g190454-d2058…

Graz, Austria
Level Contributor
545 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo female first time in Vienna

why don't you try the Ibis Budget Wien Messe, I've just stayed there for one night on a solo trip. €49 for the room, recently renovated so the room was actually really great. An easy (and safe ) 500m walk down one straight road from the Prater U-Bahn stop.

Brisbane...
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo female first time in Vienna

Thank you Europe-Chick, But that option is a bit too steep for me, I was looking more on the lines of youth hostels and the like :)

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
14,504 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo female first time in Vienna

Did you look at Wombats?

Brisbane...
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo female first time in Vienna

I have but there are no vacancies/ it is not open for the time that I am going there.. :/

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
14,504 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo female first time in Vienna

What are your dates?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,890 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Solo female first time in Vienna

This page has the HI Youth Hostels.

http://www.hihostels.com/dba/Hostels-Vienna-list.php?lang=E&city=AT|0072

I have stayed at Brigittenau, which clean and modern, and has a buffet continental breakfast. On the down side it is not very central.

10. Re: Solo female first time in Vienna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2013, 09:16