We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant for dinner on New Year's Eve in the City Center

Florida
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant for dinner on New Year's Eve in the City Center

We're going to be in Vienna for the New Year's Eve, and would like to have dinner in a nice restaurant in the city center before going out to the street to join Silvesterpdaf.

We are not interested in an all-inclusive "Gala" dinner that includes the New Year celebration (although this is an option too - but so far we're leaning toward meeting the New Year on the streets) - just a conveniently located place with good food (preferably Austrian/German or French cuisine) and wines, not too formal and not too loud, to stay there for a couple hours until about 10:30 or 11 PM before going outside.

I'm sure if the place is any good, I'll have to make a reservation, and probably the sooner the better :). I would appreciate any recommendations! Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
New Year's Eve in Vienna
New Year's Eve in Vienna
3 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
16,841 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant for dinner on New Year's Eve in the City Center

The tourist board will publish a list of those restaurants that are open nearer the time.

Vienna
Level Contributor
3,424 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant for dinner on New Year's Eve in the City Center

Hi!

you will find the list of restaurants opend on 31st of December here:

…wien.info/de/…silvester

Kind Regards_Christina

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant for dinner on New Year's Eve in the City Center

To assist in a search- Vienna city center is the First District.

If a large meal is not needed - look to the Wustel Stands located in many locations - hot, good, beverage sold too and a fun atmosphere.

Also you will find many temporary kiosks selling all forms of good stuff.

Out door stages will supply music and fun to " people watch " too.

Florida
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant for dinner on New Year's Eve in the City Center

Thanks a lot - this is really helpful!

Still, I'd appreciate if anyone can help me to narrow the list down by recommending some particular restaurants, especially those that will have regular menu (not fixed price "gala" celebration) on the New Year's Eve (or - rather - that had regular menu in previous years, as this might change this year of course). That will help much with my job of cross-referencing this list with TA reviews, and then calling every restaurant that seems interesting for the details ;)...

Edited: 12 November 2012, 18:30
Mentioned in this post
New Year's Eve in Vienna
New Year's Eve in Vienna
3 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
16,841 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant for dinner on New Year's Eve in the City Center

You may find that those posters on here who dine regularly in Vienna avoid doing so on New Year's Eve because of limited selection/high prices/early closing making it difficult to recommend. Some restaurants that we may recommend the rest of the year could be closed New Year's Eve. Sorry if this isn't particularly helpful, but when I've been for New Year we've generally eaten a bit at home before sampling the extensive street food there is to be had.

Mentioned in this post
New Year's Eve in Vienna
New Year's Eve in Vienna
3 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
Florida
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant for dinner on New Year's Eve in the City Center

Ok, I see the point - thank you!

Well, maybe if I consider some other options it will be a bit easier...

1. Celebrate New Year in a restaurant (that will include a dinner), then go outside and walk Silvesterpdaf after midnight. That seems to be the most expensive option though... Are there any nice restaurants in the city center with menu priced below EUR 100.00 per person for that night (and that will not rip you off on drinks)? So far the only one I found in that price range is Apostelkeller (zwoelf-apostelkeller.at/pages/sylvester-ny.h…) - no fixed-price menu, reasonable prices for entries... How good or bad is that place? Reviews are not bad, and not great either (but they don't talk about the New Year's party there)... And if I'm going to pay more, it really should be something exceptionally good and memorable - I cant justify spending EUR 100+ for an average dinner and a glass of champagne... I did a search on the forum, and compiled a small list of restaurants I'm going to email or call for inquires - but of course, any other opinions and first-hand experience would be very helpful!

2. Have early dinner, possibly away from the city center. In that case - how early it should be? Any particular restaurants known to be good, reasonably priced (i.e. not much higher than on a regular day) and open on Dec. 31 for the "early dinner"? Simply put - where tourists (not locals) can feed themselves that day without getting ripped off, besides street stands and kiosks? Also, if we eat early, where can we spend the rest of the evening to stay warm before getting out again for 2-3 hrs around midnight? Since most (if not all) of the attractions/museums will probably be closed, should we just go back to the hotel for a few hours? By the way, we'll be staying at Hotel Imlauer Vienna...

Any further recommendations will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
16,841 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant for dinner on New Year's Eve in the City Center

Not sure why both your plans involve going out just before or after midnight? We usually hit the streets mid-evening and stay out until well after midnight. The build up to the New Year is better than the time after midnight in my opinion. Zwölf-Apostelkeller is nice - I like it there.

Wien, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant for dinner on New Year's Eve in the City Center

The restaurants in Schloßquadrat (5th districts) are nice.

Easy to reach and then you can walk to the Inner City or take the bus or Uban

http://www.schlossquadr.at/

Toronto, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant for dinner on New Year's Eve in the City Center

My girlfriend (25) and I (28) are looking for a place to spend NYE in Vienna. We are looking for a place, preferably among people of the 25-35 age group, where we could dine and dance to modern music.

I would also like to consider an option of dining at a restaurant closer to the fireworks, as I hear they are fabulous on NYE in Vienna. What area of the town should I be focusing on in this case?

I would appreciate any and all suggestions.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
16,841 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant for dinner on New Year's Eve in the City Center

I would seriously suggest spending NYE around the central district and its amazing street/square entertainment. Better than any restaurant for atmosphere!