We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which pastry/coffee shop?

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Which pastry/coffee shop?

While in Vienna I'm sure we'll make several stops for coffee and for pastry. Where are your favorite places in the city center? I have tried sachertorte at the Sacher cafe and it was good but a bit dry. What about Demel or Gerstner or someplace else for that and other cakes?

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
13,844 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which pastry/coffee shop?

Personally I like the cakes at Oberlaa who have a few branches. I love the traditional feel of Cafe Sperl. And although they are derided for their decor I find branches of Aida to be reliable and good value.

Wien, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
3,513 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which pastry/coffee shop?

There are many threads about Coffee and pastry shops and everyone has it´s own favorites. I never recommend Sacher so not sure why you go there.

I like many coffee houses from Demel, Gerstner, Cafe Central, Aida and so on.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which pastry/coffee shop?

Agreed with Norman, the cakes at Oberlaa are the best I've had in Vienna. Cakes in Vienna, in my opinion, are not for everyone (I prefer a good Betty Crocker Moist Deluxe as opposed to layers of dry cake sandwiched between layers of fluff). Personally, I am more of a strudel, fruit dessert kind of person, so that's what I go for. A sour cherry strudel, now we're talking. (Best one I have had was from the cafe in the Kunsthistoriches Museum.)

That said, my favorites are Demel, Hawelka, Central and Prückel.

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which pastry/coffee shop?

Gerstners definitely do the best strudel - including the sour cherry strudel (I think they run the cafe in the KHM). Their coffee is excellent too - they would be my first choice for a cake-related blowout.

Central also have very good cakes. I find the ones in Oberlaa a bit lightweight but they do good desserts - Kaiserschmarrn and Topfenknoedel - and their coffee is v. nice. I like the cakes in the Landtmann chain too - Cafe Landtmann, Hofburg, Cafe Mozart, and Weimar - but the coffee is a bit sour.

Like Norman, I'm quite happy with a coffee and cake in Aida - they have a huge choice and are cheaper than the posh cafes.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which pastry/coffee shop?

Unfortunately, Gerstner is not running the cafe at the KHM any longer...

Wien, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
3,513 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which pastry/coffee shop?

At least you have a large choice in VIenna. From the 19th century dark wood, to the 1920ies, 50ies till the modern ones.

my other favourites are Cafe Schwarzenberg, Drechsler, Engländer and Prückl (which is finished with the renovation).

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,463 posts
427 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which pastry/coffee shop?

Do Coffee Shop only serve pastry and coffee? What are their normal business hours?

If I want a regular coffee - what is it called? ( In Paris you had to ask for American coffee.)

Edited: 09 November 2012, 14:28
Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which pastry/coffee shop?

Hours can vary, but most are open all days of the week, from morning until evening. Best to check the individual websites of the ones you plan to visit.

Some serve only coffee and cakes; others offer limited savory options; still others offer meals. Again, the websites will give specific details.

I am not a coffee drinker, so cannot comment on your final question. I always order hot chocolate (mit schlag).

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which pastry/coffee shop?

Everyone has their own favorites in the city.

many enjoy more than one based on where they happen to be and by the time of day.

Demel - for many touriats a must place - but to me very over rated and no longer as their former tradition.

The firm bought a numbe rof years ago by Do and Co.- They have cut costs and it shows .

many former long time employees ,many who knew the regular visitor preference and had no need to takre their order.

In summer - over crowded - waiting lines .

City center near Hofburg , Albertina, Riding School- Cafe Braunerhof- old tradition place - fine music at times - decorations fitting a cafe in Vienna.

Good when in city center touring.

Griensteidl- on Michaelerplatz - Do and Co I think still- - best thing for vistors location and non smoking - nice outside area in summer.

www.cafegriensteidl.at

Going to Volksoper

near Volksoper, Cafe Weimar a fine place for pre or later enjoyment when visiting for a performannce - good food - non smoking wing- fine piano music in nice atmosphere.

In winter the best of the few places serving Sheep cheese soup-

my personal favorite.

Going to Burg Theater - Rathaus Christmas Market

Cafe Landtmann

fine location on the Ring- in summer nice outdoor area-

www.cafeweimar.at

I enjoy Cafe Sperl - near Mariahilf Theater an der Wien-

Personally I find the 1880s decoration very nice as a Vienna cafe .

www.cafesperl.at

food and drink ok-

Hawelka-

famous name and formerly a great place- since the newer generation comes - many changes all for the worse.

Oberlaa- numerous locations - fine pastry and light dining - good choice to me -

The location just behind the Kunsthistorisches Museum- often with few visitors and a good place if in that area.

Just my opinions

Edited: 09 November 2012, 15:16
Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which pastry/coffee shop?

Is Cafe Braunerhof inside the Albertina Riding school?

Are Austrian cakesby definition lightweight, as cherries_jubilee talked about? I prefer a heavy, dense, moist cake. Not to be found?