We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel

Bombay
Level Contributor
131 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel

A buddy and I are visiting Vienna mid-June. Arriving by train from Prague for a three day trip after which we plan to take a train to Salzburg. My questions are:

1. Are the main tourist attractions concentrated in one area?

2. How far is the main railway station from the tourist attractions?

3. Any recommendations for a good four star hotel near the tourist attractions?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Wien, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
3,688 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel

please use first the search as this is frequently asked.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,262 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel

Kris,

I'm not an expert on Vienna. I am planning a visit like you. I hope my little information helps you.

1) Most of the main tourist sites are concentrated in the Innere Stadt. The farthest sight out of this area is Schonbrunn Palace. You can reach it by metro.

2) The main train station is about 15-20 min from the Innere Stadt.

3) Have a look on TA Vienna Hotels, www.booking.com or www.venere.com to find a hotel that suits your budget and taste. For hotels in the Innere Stadt, choose hotels with the postal code 1010.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
2,181 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel

It should be noted that Vienna does not have a "main" train station but several medium sized ones. The one you use depends on your destination. A main station, however, is under construction but total completion is ages away.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,262 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel

Cherries_Jubilee,

Thanks for the clarification about train stations. For visitors arriving from Prague, is it normally the Wien Meidling station?

From there, I believe one can take the U6 from Philadelphiabrücke station to Westbahnhof, transfer to U3 and be in Stephansplatz in about 20 minutes?

Wien, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
3,688 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel

or just hop on the bus 59A , tram 62 or Badner Bahn which brings directly to State Opera without changing.

Bombay
Level Contributor
131 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel

Thank you guys, all your information is very helpful.

Gigis_mum, I hope you find all the information you need for your trip on the forums here. I will follow your threads here and I am sure I will learn a lot. The information about the 1010 postal code is superb. Makes life so much easier.

Cherries_Jubilee,

Thanks for the information regarding the railway stations. Like Gigis_mum, I will be arriving by train from Prague.

HuSanNiang,

Thank you for the information on the bus/tram.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,262 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel

Kris,

Thanks for saying thanks! No need to follow my threads here. It will be like the blind leading the blind, ha ha.

Bombay
Level Contributor
131 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel

Gigis_mum,

I hope I learn something from the replies you receive :-)

Edited: 23 November 2012, 19:10
Bombay
Level Contributor
131 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel

Have zeroed in on the Best Western Das Tigra after some research on TA. Any review, good or bad, would be appreciated.

10. Re: Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 04:16