We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please review my proposed itinery - 4day New Year 2013 trip

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
40 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Please review my proposed itinery - 4day New Year 2013 trip

Me and my wife (me 35 her 31), LOVE live music (preferably indie), like chilled out bars (bohemian, studenty), like bike/walking tours, don't like art, like people watching, don't like commercial scenes, like simple food (burger joints, steak houses, Italian, schnitzel :) etc), don't like 'cuisine'

Day 1

Arrive at hotel on Praterstrasse late afternoon, check-in, get showered, head out towards Bermuda Triangle area (It looks close to the hotel, don't want to be travelling a great distance on the first night), something to eat, then find some bars, hopefully lots of nice places to dip in and out of.

Please recommend somewhere to get something to eat and some bars

Day 2

Morning - Red Bus City Tour

Afternoon - Walking around Inner Stadt (lunch, drinks etc) back to hotel to get ready for the night

NIghtime - Head to Gurtel area get something to eat, check out some bars such as Loop, Chelsea, B52

Please recommend somewhere to eat around this area

Day 3

Morning - Naschmarket area

Afternoon - Walk up through Statpark to Prater amusement fair, then back top hotel to get ready for night

Nightime - Head to Spittleberg for something to eat and check our some bars (maybe Wirr)

Please recommend somewhere to get something to eat and some bars

Day 4 (New Years Eve)

Morning/Early Afternoon - Museum Platz / walkimg around Spittelberg

Afternoon - Walking/Drinking around Inner Stadt

Nightime - Walking around Inner Stadt, watching Fireworks, drinking, celebrating New Year

Please recommend somewhere to eat near our hotel on Pratterstrasse

Day 5 - Go back to UK

Please can anyone offer their thoughts - thanks

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
14,489 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please review my proposed itinery - 4day New Year 2013 trip

Not the reasons I go to Vienna - my daughter drags me to enough bars in Manchester's Northern Quarter - so unfortunately I can't give you good recommendations. In fact I probably go to Vienna for all the things you aren't looking for. But I can tell you that apart from the giant wheel (Riesenrad) there is very little open in the Prater in winter. I'd really suggest trying a Viennese wine garden (Heuriger) so you can get drunk the way the locals do!

Los Altos Hills, CA
Level Contributor
790 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please review my proposed itinery - 4day New Year 2013 trip

Re. eating around the Nachtmarket: I found this a bit disappointing. A lot of "pan-Asian" restaurants. We did find a great little cafe, I think it's called Pavillon Cafe, right next to the middle of the market where they sell flowers. It served awesome breakfast and other casual stuff like sandwich, burger, sausage, soups etc.

You say you don't like art, but how about architecture? Vienna is spectacular in this respect. Perhaps you would enjoy at least a walk around Hofburg even if you don't visit the Imperial treasures (incredible) or apartments? We took the subway to Schonbrunn and the park was just as nice as the palace. If the weather is good, a trip to Vienna Woods and the towns of Grinzing or Nussdorf to drink at a wine tavern / heuriger would be nice.

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please review my proposed itinery - 4day New Year 2013 trip

Basically, your itinerary seems ok. Here are a few suggestions anyway.

First, personally I'd skip the Bermmuda triangle. That might just be my personal bias and I really can't say much about it since I haven't been in any of those bars for at least ten years but I've always considered it a place for teenagers and rich kids to get drunk and not much more. Bohemian and studenty are certainly among the last words I'd use to describe it.

If you find yourself in that area anyway, which is likely because you might want to take a look at the bars down at the Danube canal (even though that area is much better in summer) and you'll probably use Schwedenplatz subway station a couple of times anyway, try Maschu-Maschu for a quick bite. It's a Falafel and Shwarma place that modestly claims to have the best Falafel in town. They might not be far off, though.

Anyway, for your first night you could just stay in the 2nd district. It's not much a place for bar hopping but two of Vienna's best alternative clubs, Fluc and Pratersauna, are located there. Fluc is just a few minutes walk from where you are staying, at Praterstern, and it has a really nice bar upstairs. Other than that, Shabu in Rotensterngasse is a bar just off Praterstrasse that you'll probably like.

For food in that area, I'd consider Hansy on Praterstrasse for down to earth Viennese pub-grub, Schöne Perle for a slightly updated version of the same for a younger crowd and Pizza Mari for, well, Pizza. You might want to check out the area around Karmelitermarkt in general to see if something strikes your fancy.

In the Spittelberg area you could eat at one of several Indian places along Burggasse but since you mentioned burger joints I'll recommend Die Bugermacher which is certainly the best place in Vienna to have a burger. It's also on Burggasse. For bars, what comes to mind is Donau which is an interesting place in Karl-Schweighofer-Gasse 10. I mention the exact adress because it's a bit hard to find if you don't know it. There's nothing to suggest a bar except for a metal door. Prepare for rather loud electronic music inside. Then there's The Flying Pig which sometimes has life music. It's really only worth going if there's something on, though, and lately they're often booked for private parties. Also worth mentioning in this area are Amerling Beisl, 7stern Cafe and Siebenstern Bräu (brewpub).

Then, if you like the whole studenty and bohemian thing, there are two areas that you probably should check out that are not on your list, Freihausviertel and Brunnenviertel. Fortunately both are very close to areas where you're planning to be anyway.

Freihausviertel is a small area just off Naschmarkt around Schleifmühlgasse. You might want to check out Cafe Anzengruber for its rough charm and pretty good beer or Xpedit Kiosk for a comprehensive introduction into the wonderful world of sausages. There are also some good bars there. Schikaneder and Transporter are worth mentioning.

Brunnenviertel consists mainly of Brunnenmarkt and Yppenplatz and is close to the Guertel area. Brunnenmarkt is another large outdoor market but less fancy and touristy than the Naschmarkt. It's a colorful multi-cultural area, great for people watching and for food. I'd suggest you head there for a bite before bar-hopping along the Guertel. Try one of the places at Yppenplatz like An-Do (the cafe, not the fish restaurant) or Dellago, or go to Kent in Brunnengasse for good, plentiful and inexpensive Turkish food.

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,478 posts
434 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please review my proposed itinery - 4day New Year 2013 trip

Great information Felix.

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
40 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please review my proposed itinery - 4day New Year 2013 trip

Felix, thank you so much - some great advice there - I think my itinery has now changed:

Day 1 - Friday

Afternoon - Arrive at hotel on Praterstrasse mid-afternoon, check-in, get showered, head out towards to Inner Stadt just for a couple of hours then back to hotel to get ready for night.

Nightime - Eat and drink around Prater / Donaucanal (places to look for; Hansy, Schöne Perle, Pizza Mari or around Karmelitermarkt for food and Pratersauna and Fluc for drinks/music)

Day 2 - Saturday

Morning - Walking from Karlsplatz - Naschmarkt - Hofburg

Afternoon - Walking around Inner Stadt (lunch, drinks etc) Stephensplatz - back to hotel to get ready for the night

Nightime - Eat and drink in Spittelberg (places to look for; Die Bugermacher, Amerling Beisl, 7stern Cafe and Siebenstern Bräu for food and Donau, Trotzki, Blue Corridor and Bar.am for drinks)

Day 3 - Sunday

Morning/Early Afternoon - Walking from Vative Church - Rathause - Parliament - Museums Quarter

Afternoon - Gentle stroll through Spittelberg for lunch and drinks - then back to hotel to get ready for night.

Evening - Eat in Brunnenviertel then party along Gurtel (places to look for; An-Do, Dellago or Kent for food and Chelsea, B52, Loop, All In, Rhiz, Q, Shiraz for drinks)

Day 4 (New Years Eve)

Morning/Afternoon - Walk through Stadtpark - Belvedere

Late Afternoon - Eat and drink around Freihausviertel (places to find; Cafe Anzengruber or Xpedit Kiosk for food and Schikaneder and Transporter for drinks)

Nightime - Walking around Inner Stadt, watching Fireworks, drinking, celebrating New Year

Day 5 - Go back to UK

Such a shame we havn't got another night - just can decide whether to do our first night in Prater or Freihausviertel - I don't really want to miss Fluc or Schikaneder and Transporter and thats why I've squeezed Freihausviertel in like I have...........

Felix, Help! :)

6. Re: Please review my proposed itinery - 4day New Year 2013 trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 15:16