We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vienna to Melk & NYE

San Francisco
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Vienna to Melk & NYE

Hi TA Experts :)

Right now we are scheduled to fly into Vienna on 12/27 and head directly to Melk for a quiet night in the country, returning the next day for four nights in Vienna. Two questions I am having trouble with right now:

1) Transit to Melk

We originally were going to take the train to Melk, relax for a night and explore the town, and then train back, but I realized we were missing out on exploring the valley via car. So....

I have a car rental reserved through Auto Europe w/ Buchbinder. However, I am reading terrible things about them. I am also reading that reserving a car at the airport is a mistake. My options that i have found is to either keep the car and take pictures, prepare to make a fuss, etc... or cancel and go through Sixt which has an office about 15 minute walk from our hotel in Vienna. We will only have the car to travel to Melk & back, so we would be turning it in on the 28th and walking to our hotel.

also - have you had any experience with the AMEX Premium Car Rental Coverage? My AAA insurance doesn't cover international driving, so I would either have to get the rental insurance or a 3rd party provider.

2) NYE in Vienna

From what I am reading it appears that the whole of downtown is a party zone on NYE. What is the best way to experience this extraordinary event? Would you recommend reservations at a local restaurant, a ticket to a ball/party/concert, or just enjoy the city?

I will be traveling with my wife, and we are more in the mood for fun and excitement, but not to the club/dance party level. So concerts would be fun and romantic, or a crazy NYE party in the streets would be fun as well.

Thanks!

Vienna
Level Contributor
2,913 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Vienna to Melk & NYE

I can just try to give my opinion for point 2).

If it is your first time in Vienna then I would remain in the streets. The New Year’s Eve Trail in the Old City is the highlight.

On December 31, Vienna's old city center transforms into a giant party zone: From 2 p.m. in the afternoon to 2 a.m. the following morning, top entertainment is guaranteed by the New Year's Path in the city center, at City Hall Square and in the Prater. Along the New Year's Path, dozens of gastronomes serve you punch and culinary treats. Numerous stations provide humorous entertainment with a show program, waltzes, an operetta, rock, pop and folk music as well as a DJ line-up. Especially popular is the classical area on Graben. The Vienna Dance Schools offer crash courses in the waltz on Stephansplatz, and a large fireworks display draws the crowds to the Prater and Heldenplatz.

Regards

Ottavio N.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vienna to Melk & NYE

Some things to consider

renting at the airport - can be more costly due to airport tax fees.

new terminal is not overly user friendly and park garages less than great access.

But perhaps most important - I assume that ght you arrive after a long flight- Jet Lag can be a factor and impair driving skills- The airport to Melk can take about 1 11/2 - 2 hours.

Other than the Abbey - things in Melk and nearby areas can be very quiet- not much open-

This pertains to Durnstein, Spitz, Weissenkirchen.

In recommend - going directly to your hotel in Vienna- take time to relax , drop off luggage and perhaps a little sightseeing aa you wish.

Then pick a day to take the train to Melk.

The Abbey a short walk from the station-

Discount train tickets available for 2 or more on some regional trains .

www.oebb.at

Be certain to check tour times at the Abbey - these are limited.

www.stiftmelk.at

For New Years - enjoy the fantastic opportunities offered by the

city center - something for everyone

www.wien.info

Maps usually available on the streets for easy review

3. Re: Vienna to Melk & NYE

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 December 2013, 05:16