We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vienna for 2 days alone

New York, NY
Level Contributor
29 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Vienna for 2 days alone

I am going to Prague in Feb and had a choice to go to Vienna or Paris. I know Paris and have been before but I haven't been to Vienna. This may seem silly but I feel comfortable in Paris eating alone in restaurants and wandering around by myself etc. Will I be ok in Vienna alone if staying in the center of town? Also recommendations for a traditional Viennese restaurant would be helpful. Thx

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,528 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vienna for 2 days alone

Definitely - I've been to Vienna alone about 12 times (17 or 18 times total). You will be okay, safe, comfortable, etc. It's a wonderful city and I love the people. Do you have somewhere to stay?

New York, NY
Level Contributor
29 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vienna for 2 days alone

Thanks! Yes, I am reserving a hotel room near St. Stephen's Cathedral. Planning on trying to see Hofburg Palace, Schonbrunn Palace and the Kunsthistorisches, Would love to try and see Belvedere but I arrive on a Friday and leave Sunday night so I may not have time.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vienna for 2 days alone

I agree with KimBux... I was just there--solo--the first week of December 2012 and stayed near the Opera House.

Felt very safe and it's a very walkable city, and easy to take the trams/subways.

You'll have to take a 20 minute or so subway ride (U4 Line) to get to Schonbrunn, but it's worth it.

www.wienerlinien.at/eportal/ep/home.do…

If you can, while you're at the Hofburg Palace, I encourage you to check out the Schatzkammer or Imperial Treasury. Pretty impressive collection of royal crowns, scepters, jewels, etc.

Enjoy!

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,528 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vienna for 2 days alone

If you don't have a place to stay, I recommend (all the time) the Pension Aviano. It is off Kartnerstrasse between the Opera House and St. Stephan's. I've stayd there 6 or 7 times. It is a little more expensive (87-112E for a single). But, the location can't be beat and the price also includes breakfast.

With your time constraint, I would not go through both the Hofburg and Schonbrunn. They are very similar. But, do see the Schatzkammer or Imperial Treasury as mentioned in #3.

Have a great trip!! (Try a sausage at the Wurstl stand - they are my favorite.)

New York, NY
Level Contributor
29 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vienna for 2 days alone

Thanks! Now I have to decide whether I can stay 2 days or three....

New York, NY
Level Contributor
29 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vienna for 2 days alone

Thanks! Now I have to decide whether I can stay 2 days or three....

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
1,680 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vienna for 2 days alone

I'd like to add that you can probably get along better with English in Vienna as compared to Paris.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
29 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vienna for 2 days alone

I speak French (speaking skills are rusty but I understand it and read it regularly). But with everyone's recommendation, I just bought my ticket to Vienna! So excited, thanks!!!

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
15,926 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vienna for 2 days alone

I'm sure you'll enjoy!

10. Re: Vienna for 2 days alone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2014, 06:17