We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get into Italy from Vienna - Train vs Plane?

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
83 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
How to get into Italy from Vienna - Train vs Plane?

There are a few similar posts to this topic, but not quite.

I will be in Vienna in April. After a short visit, I need to get into Italy, where I will spend the next 2.5 week exploring. The Italian itinerary is not settled yet and how I get from Vienna into Italy to start my tour will have a significant effect on the touring route I take through Italy.

The major restriction with my Italian itinerary is that it must finish in Milan (where I fly for home).

Firstly, the train versus plane issue. There are flights from Vienna to Rome that seem cheap - around €80. It takes about 1.5 hours to fly that distance. The down side being the addition travel to and from the airport to the Italian city centers and check-in time at the airport. I'm guessing total travel time from Vienna to Rome would probably take up to 4 hours door to door.

The train option is sounding attractive to me and there seems to be a number of options. I'm hoping the overnight sleeper option will save me money on a hotel. Can anyone suggest an ideal Italian city to start my tour in?

The OBB website suggests a number of destinations are possible - Venice, Bologna, Florence, Rome, Verona, Milan and Pisa.

Venice looks like a good option to start my tour - I can work my way to Rome via Florence and then back up to Milan.

Or perhaps I could start in Verona, then Vienna and then start to work my way south to Rome?

Can anyone help me out with suggestions?

The plane option would probably see me start in Rome and the work my way north-east to Vienna via Florence and then west to Milan.

The train option seems to open up my options a bit more, but take longer?

Your advice would be much appreciated.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
20,183 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get into Italy from Vienna - Train vs Plane?

I would start in Venice if you go by train. If you decide to fly, then Rome might be a good start.

Quainton, United...
Level Contributor
7,628 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get into Italy from Vienna - Train vs Plane?

There are excellent direct sleeper trains from central Vienna to central Rome, Florence, Venice and Milan.

Fares start at just €39 with couchette (basic flat sleeping berth with rug and pillow) or €69 with bed in 2-bed sleeper.

Book at www.oebb.at (Austrian Railways website) and print your own ticket.

Not only is this centre to centre with no extra to pay to reach airports, no fees, no baggage limits, it'll save a hotel bill as well.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
698 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get into Italy from Vienna - Train vs Plane?

We will be travelling from Vienna to Verona in June 2013, and would like to catch the overnight train . Which station do we catch the train from as there seems to be a couple of stations.Also are the fares only available to be booked 3 months in advance.

Thank you

Wien, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
3,420 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get into Italy from Vienna - Train vs Plane?

Night trains can be book 180 days in advance.

EN 235

69 Euro in a 6 user couchette till 109 in a sleeper per person

So you can book it already

Edited: 29 January 2013, 09:06
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,479 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get into Italy from Vienna - Train vs Plane?

@Jann58 The EN 235 train suggested above starts at Wien Meidling station, departs at 07:30pm (book with www.oebb.at)

Edited: 29 January 2013, 09:27
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
698 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get into Italy from Vienna - Train vs Plane?

Can you please advise of what I am doing incorrectly. This is what comes up when i try to book .

Date16.06.2013

Departure19:12

Arrival06:57

Duration11:45Hours

Changes1

S-BahnEuroNight Wien Mitte-Landstraße - Verona Porta Nuova

Not available

Details

Thank you

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
20,183 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to get into Italy from Vienna - Train vs Plane?

I couldn't get any prices either. Just try it again in a few weeks! And use "Wien-Meidling" as point of departure.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
698 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to get into Italy from Vienna - Train vs Plane?

Thank you everyone. I will keep trying over the next few weeks

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,479 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to get into Italy from Vienna - Train vs Plane?

Perhaps too early for 16th June. However, the EN 235 departs 19:30 not 19:12. You have to start with Wien-Meidling, it is a direct train to Verona.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
50 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to get into Italy from Vienna - Train vs Plane?

A point to be made is that some people (myself for example) may mistakenly take the U4 (UBahn) to Meidling Haupstrasse thinking that is where the train station is. To get to Meidling Bahhnof for the night train to Italy, you must take the U6 to Philadelphiabrucke. If you heed this advice, then you will not wander around the wrong Ubahn station looking for the trains.