We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vienna - Number of days?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
Vienna - Number of days?

We are planning a 2 week trip in May and visiting Berlin - Prague - Budapest - Vienna in that order.

What I have not seen is how many days one should spend in Vienna. We do like to spend a little more time in a city than to see just the main tourist sites.

If you have visited the oterh 3 cities as well, any thoughts on how long should we plan in each?

Thanks

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,425 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vienna - Number of days?

Vienna is my FAVORITE city in the world and I've been there 17+ times. I always find something new to do.

I would give Vienna at least 4 days.... there really is so much to see and do. in 4 days, you will only scratch the surface. But, really it depends on what you like to do and how much time you spend places. You can spend a day alone at Schonbrunn touring the palace and going to the zoo.

Here is a link to 3 days in Vienna...

tripadvisor.com/Guide-g190454-l66-Vienna.html

Have fun and Safe travels!!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vienna - Number of days?

Thanks for the reply. Have you been to any of the other 3 cities?

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,425 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vienna - Number of days?

I was in Budapest in 1989 and hardly remember the trip.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
15,046 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vienna - Number of days?

I've been to all four and would say split your time as evenly as possible between them. If I was to give one city a day less it would be Budapest.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
978 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vienna - Number of days?

Hi ejg

I have been to the 4 cities in 07 and 08.

I loved Vienna, Budapest was fascinating, Berlin was huge (needs a bit of planning) and Prague frantically busy in the summer but pretty compact.

Because the attractions are reasonably close to each other in Prague; 4 nights in each but 3 in Prague would be my suggestion, depending on what you want to see and do.

DCtheKiwi

Quebec City
Level Contributor
618 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vienna - Number of days?

I have been to Berlin twice, both times for a week each, and could've stayed longer, want to go again. I have been to Vienna in September of '11 and stayed for a week. I can't comment on the other two, though they are on my list of places to visit one day!

That being said, it's a tough call, and I would think it's completely up to you. I myself prefer to stay longer in one place, so four major cities in two weeks would drive me insane, would feel like running around and not actually experiencing the cities. But I know different people like different types of travel. So my advice is to either:

A) Follow Norman C's advice and divide your time as evenly as possible

B) Thoroughly research each city, what you want to see in each, how much time you think you would need and then plan your visit accordingly. If you find you have a list of 153 things to do in Budapest but just 63 in Vienna (I'm making these up, this is just an example) then I would plan more time in Budapest.

Also, how will you travel between the cities? Plane vs. train, vs. rental car can make a big difference. When planning your time, make sure to figure out traveling time, + whatever time you need for checking-out and in again in the new place, etc. It can easily take up almost a whole day, IME.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
978 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vienna - Number of days?

Re #6, yes , with more time available less rushed and/or more can be included, however I believe that it is sufficient to do the “highlights”.

Route planning will help reduce downtime from travel. Flying in to Berlin then on to Prague then Vienna then Budapest and flying out from there wil reduce backtracking, OR, in reverse OR you are committed to the route you have chosen.

Certainly, Vienna to Budapest can be easily done by train 3.5 hours – at least 5 daily.

Berlin to Prague is 5 hours by train.

Good luck

DCtheKiwi

8. Re: Vienna - Number of days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2014, 05:17