We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo activities for day time

Raleigh, North...
9 posts
Save Topic
Solo activities for day time

A young adult friend will be visiiting Vienna in March. She has friends to explore with, but those friends are students and will be in class during some time of her visit. Can someone recommend safe, yet interesting and fun places for her to visit on her own for several hours during weekdays? Her knowldege of German is limited. Thank you!

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
1,628 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo activities for day time

Check out this:

wien.info/en/sightseeing/museums-exhibitions

and in particular:

wien.info/en/…naked-men-leopold-museum

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
2,211 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo activities for day time

I saw the "Naked Men" exhibit last month. I thought it was fabulous. Good recommendation!

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
15,109 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo activities for day time

@ Nemorino - Where you in it?

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
1,628 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo activities for day time

Not yet, Norman, but I heard good things about it and I thought it was a good idea given that an interesting and fun adult female activity was requested. Seeing Cherries endorsement, I shall try to show the exhibition to my wife as soon as possible ;-)

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo activities for day time

Hi Sharon G,

If you look at the list of attractions in the "Top Questions about Vienna" section at the top right of this page, or in the "Things to Do" section at the top left of this page, you'll come up with tons of safe, interesting ideas.

When I visited Vienna in December (solo), I enjoyed:

The morning practice at the Spanish Riding School (14 €)

The Imperial Treasury (Schatzkammer)

Schönbrunn Palace

Stephansdom (cathedral)

Globe Museum

And a number of Christmas markets which, of course, are long gone already.

Riding public transit is easy, clean, and safe. And, as far as knowing German is concerned, it's not a problem. I had a difficult time practicing my German because everytime I spoke, people recognized I wasn't a native speaker and immediately switched to English.

Edited: 31 January 2013, 23:34
Raleigh, North...
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo activities for day time

Thank you zed1958. We will check out those suggestions. Thanks, too, for the reassurance of the safety & ease of travel and communication.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
15,109 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo activities for day time

Not only is public transport safe, but the whole of Vienna is wonderfully safe compared to most cities. In particular violent crime is very, very low. Only a few organised gangs (invariably not Austrian natives!) of pickpockets spoil things. But they are nothing like as bad as in many cities. Your friend just needs to take reasonable, every day precautions with her handbag and/or purse.

As far as sightseeing goes it would be a lovely gesture to treat her to a guide book (Rough Guide, Lonely Planet, Fodor etc) before she goes. The various topics on here are good, but not really portable on the streets and don't have good mapping!

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,433 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo activities for day time

Vienna is VERY safe.... I've traveled to Vienna quite a few times by myself and have never been bothered. Just be mindful of your surroundings and keep your belongings close by (don't leave your purse/backpack unattended) and everything will be fine.

Raleigh, North...
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Solo activities for day time

We have bought a tourist guide, complete with what looks to be a very good map. The morning practice at the Spanish Riding Scool looks wonderful! Any tips on attending that?

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
2,211 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Solo activities for day time

Information on the Spanish Riding School has been given numerous times on this forum. Please use the search function above to find loads of info. Here is a recent thread to get you started:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g190454-i147-k6104…