We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carriage tours at Central Cemetery?

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta USA
Level Contributor
24 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Carriage tours at Central Cemetery?

My wife and I will be in Vienna in July and want to go to the Central Cemetery and see the musicians' graves. The Wien Info site wien.info/en/…central-cemetery

says there are carriage tours in the summer, 70 Euros for an hour. Has anyone tried these? Do the driver-guides speak English and give good information, or just cart you around and you figure it out? Any help is much appreciated.

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,226 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carriage tours at Central Cemetery?

I've been to the Central Cemetery and loved it. However, I would not spend 70 Euros on a carriage ride to see the graves. The graves are all in the same area. Enter Tor. 2 (gate 2), walk through the entrance and go about 150 yards. You will see them on your left. It's worth it to spend an hour or so there walking around - its an interesting place.

If you really want to take a carriage ride, do it in town. The guides I town speak English and will take you past the major sites and down some back streets.

Hope you have a great time!! I love Vienna...

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carriage tours at Central Cemetery?

I agree with the assessment above regarding the carriage ride.

This is something begun last year? Very costly for this I think.

You can see so much by walking slowly to view in detail of the various graves, monuments-

numerous benches to take a rest or time to contemplate. It forms an interesting commentary on Vienna life as you see hoq families tend to the graves of those passed on.

Note the Friedhof is so large it has its own bus service - these running about every 30 minutes.

Perhaps you can get off the street car #71 at Door 2 progress through the cemetary to Door 1 to find the #71 for your return.

Much info, maps and info here. You can thus plan your visit easily.

www.friedhoefewien.at

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carriage tours at Central Cemetery?

Note most info available in english version - just click english top right

Atlanta USA
Level Contributor
24 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carriage tours at Central Cemetery?

Wow. Danke und thanks. It is responses like this that make TA so great.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carriage tours at Central Cemetery?

I highly recommend a visit to the St. Marx cemetery, which you will pass anyway as you ride on Tram 71 to Zentralfriedhof. In the St. Marx cemetery you will find a monument to Mozart as he is buried there. In addition, the very old and lovely gravestones are surrounded by thousands of lilac bushes. If you are coming to Vienna in late April or May, it is worth a visit alone just to enjoy the lilacs. The cemetery is small and can be seen in half an hour. To reach it, just take the short walk over from the St. Marx stop on the 71 line.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
13,818 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carriage tours at Central Cemetery?

And you often see Red Squirrels.

7. Re: Carriage tours at Central Cemetery?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2014, 06:15