We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

OEBB Booking Question- European Card Needed?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
71 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
OEBB Booking Question- European Card Needed?

Hello,

I'm trying to book a train ticket from Salzburg to Vienna on the OEBB online. However I tried two different credit cards and both were declined. I know in Italy we couldn't book in advance because it required a European credit card. Is this the case here? Or have other people experienced similar problems on the site?

Am I better off just booking through Westbahn and paying a little more?

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,545 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: OEBB Booking Question- European Card Needed?

The westbahn is more comfortable, IMO, and you can buy the ticket on the train - no need to buy in advance. This gives you greater flexibility.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
71 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: OEBB Booking Question- European Card Needed?

Hi- Thanks for the reply. Is the Westbahn always the flat rate of 25 euros for this route? Also I'm needing to book a train from Vienna to budapest as well so I still may need to use OBB. So do I need to have a european credit card to do this online?

Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: OEBB Booking Question- European Card Needed?

If you have a Visa or MasterCard, you need to advise your issuer that you will be buying a train ticket in Austria. They will then OK your card for foreign purchases for whatever timeframe you tell them.

American Express does not need prior notice to buy overseas.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,545 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: OEBB Booking Question- European Card Needed?

Yes it is always €25

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
71 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: OEBB Booking Question- European Card Needed?

Is it worth the extra 6 euros or so per person to travel by Westbahn? What makes it better? Thanks to everyone for their opinion on this!

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,545 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: OEBB Booking Question- European Card Needed?

Extra flexibility as you can get any train, free wi-fi, just generally nicer.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: OEBB Booking Question- European Card Needed?

In addition to the above Westbahn is a private firm. Their staff more attentive, helpful and friendly.

You just walk on and buy your ticket -

Oebb - national rail line - their staff from ticket counter onward much less professional, uncaring .

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,895 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: OEBB Booking Question- European Card Needed?

ÖBB regular fare: 50€ (full flexibility)

ÖBB special fare: 19€ (limited number of tickets, advance purchase, no changes)

Westbahn regular fare: 25€ (full flexibility)

Perth Western...
Level Contributor
73 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: OEBB Booking Question- European Card Needed?

I was wondering if when you use West bahn and you go for the option of buying on board, does this mean there is a risk you won't get on if the train is full? I feel a bit nervous about arriving at the station without tickets.

Thanks

Cindy

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,895 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: OEBB Booking Question- European Card Needed?

No, there is no seat allocation like on jetliners. In Europe the train is real mass-transit, at most times railway operators run over-capacities. Between Vienna and Salzburg there is so much traffic, you only encounter packed trains at peak times (e.g. Friday afternoon out of Vienna).

I am sitting on a Westbahn train on my way to Linz and the train is less than 50% occupied. Do not worry! And you can arrive at the station earlier and board the train when ready for it, approximately 20-30 minutes prior to departure. You can then also get a seat on the upper level of the train where the views are better. If you travel wth heavy bags though I would remain on the lower level as there is a rack for large bags.

Get answers to your questions about Vienna