We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stephansdom: North Tower

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Caesarea, Israel
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Topic
Stephansdom: North Tower

Hi. I can't found information about what is going on at Stephansdom's North Tower. Is it have open terrace with good view of Vienna there? In other words: Is it worth 4.5 euro to get there with a lift?

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,303 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stephansdom: North Tower

I've been up there a few times. It's an 'open' viewing area with fencing around the edges for security reasons. You can take pictures and see things from a different point of view.

"Is it worth 4.5 euro to get there with a lift?" Sure - I think so.... or you can walk the 343 stairs in the other tower but the views are not as good compared to the North Tower.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
14,227 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stephansdom: North Tower

I'm not quite sure why KimBux says the views from the south tower aren't as good. The viewing gallery is above the roof line so you get a 360° view which you don't get from the north tower - or at least my recollection (which is a few years old) is that you don't! The main drawback with the south tower is it is narrow, splral steps rather than a lift.

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,303 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stephansdom: North Tower

In the South Tower, the viewing is not outside like the North Tower. It is enclosed and you look through windows. The windows are not all the way around the South Tower so it's really not a true 360 degree view. I loved walking up the 343 stairs - however, it was a bit warm inside the spiral staircase as well as at the top.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,260 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stephansdom: North Tower

We did both towers, but I enjoyed the north tower more. I was a bit disappointed that the south tower was all enclosed and not outside. The north tower is well worth the money I think, the views over Vienna are great as well as the chance to get up close to the spectacular tiled roof.

We bought a combined ticket, can't remember the cost, that covered an audio guide for the church interior, both towers and the tour of the crypt.

Edited: 03 March 2013, 20:40
Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
14,227 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stephansdom: North Tower

The south tower is enclosed because you are only 2/3 of the way up it. The north tower was going to be as high, but they ran out of funds (hundreds of years ago, I should add!). So it topped out whilst still quite wide (the south tower tapers beautifully) and has an open terrace. It does have the bells in it including the Pummerin which is one of the world's largest church bells. Above the observation level the south tower used to have a flat for the city watchman. He looked out for blazes all over the city.

6. Re: Stephansdom: North Tower

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2014, 06:15