We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days and 2 nights Vienna/Salzburg

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Northern Virginia
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
2 days and 2 nights Vienna/Salzburg

Hello,

We are traveling with our family of 4 (2 adults and 2 teenage girls) and will only have 2 days and 2 nights in Vienna. Our daughters really want to go to Salzburg and do a 'Sound of Music' tour for one of the days. Our plan right now is to see Vienna the first day, and the second day take the train back and forth to Salzburg (get back at around midnight). Do you think that is too much for two days, or should we just skip Salzburg? Girls are leaving for college in a few years and with so much more of the world to see, we probably won't make it back any time soon.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
2,066 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 days and 2 nights Vienna/Salzburg

For what it's worth, when I was in high school my family took a trip to Austria and Germany. We, unfortunately, went for quantity over quality, Years later, I have no memory of the trip whatsoever.

I say if a Sound of Music tour is really what your kids want to do, then just go to Salzburg and skip Vienna. In two days you'll truly enjoy Salzburg, whereas one day in each will be a blurry memory.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 days and 2 nights Vienna/Salzburg

I would stick to two days in one of them but not one day in each.

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,271 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 days and 2 nights Vienna/Salzburg

I've done the 'Salzburg and back in a day from Vienna' a few times and it's exhausting. You are going to spend about 5.5 hours on the train getting there and back. That time can be spent in Vienna seeing many, many things. (One day in Vienna will not even scratch the surface.)

If the only thing in Salzburg is a 'Sound of Music' tour, I think your time is better spent in Vienna. Let the kids finish college and get a job - they will appreciate the trip more when they are paying for it!!

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
14,071 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 days and 2 nights Vienna/Salzburg

I assume these two days are just part of a trip to Europe. Is the rest of your schedule so hectic? I urge you to pay heed to what Cherries said and not try to do too much in too short a time. It's a mistake people commonly make and often regret!

Northern Virginia
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 days and 2 nights Vienna/Salzburg

Thanks! We have decided to skip Salzburg, and spend the full two days in Vienna. @ Norman, yes it is part of a larger trip. We are spending 4 days in all of the other cities and plan to have downtime in each. Vienna became an added 'bonus' city when United told us we could have a free stopover enroute to Paris.

Thanks again!

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
14,071 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 days and 2 nights Vienna/Salzburg

I'm relieved as I think four days is an ideal time to spend in any major city - it's what you need to start to "feel" the place. Pity you can't have more in Vienna, but, hey, two days is better than none!

7. Re: 2 days and 2 nights Vienna/Salzburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2014, 06:15