We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Day in Vienna

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
10 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
A Day in Vienna

My husband and I will be here for business, so for 1 full day I will be on my own to explore, shop, eat, play.

Any suggestions on where I should start?

Favorite museum to visit?

Favorite lunch spot?

Thanks in advance!

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Day in Vienna

The Inner Stadt: Kartnerstrasse and the Graban - the main pedestrian zone..... you will find some shopping, cafes, the Opera House and St. Stephan's Cathedral. You can take the U4 from Karlsplatz (by the Opera House) to Schonbrunn Palace as well.

There is so much to see and to in the Inner Stadt that you may just be happy wondering around there.

London, UK
Level Contributor
147 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Day in Vienna

If it's a wet day then you could do worse than a stroll from the area around the Hofburg complex, passing/visiting the wonderful interiors of the Neue Burg Museum to the unmissable Kunsthistorisches Museum (and surroundings), where you can also eat in a very pleasant dining area.

If the weather is nice then that stroll is still worthwhile (and still consider visiting the Kunsthistorisches Museum !), but then expanded a LOT to include the 'Volksgarten' park just to the north - then to the frontage of the City Hall to view it and enjoy the green areas there as well.

From there I'd take a tram to get myself to Schloss Belvedere to, if nothing else, tour the extensive and enjoyable grounds.

You can add a trip to the area around the Opera house perhaps and visit what I consider to be the 2 most worthwhile to see churches in Vienna centre - namely the Jesuit Church (Jesuitenkirche/Universitatskirche) and/or St. Peter's Church (Peterskirche).

All those places are covered on TA and my TA Vienna Trip List gives the full details/links to my own reviews.

tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i33675-Vienna…

Have an enjoyable day whatever you do !

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
2,352 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Day in Vienna

When is your visit? Many of the best activities are related to the season, so dates are helpful to best guide you.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
10 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A Day in Vienna

We will be in Vienna the 1st week of June.

Thanks for all of the wonderful tips everyone!!!

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
2,352 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A Day in Vienna

This would be my perfect day in Vienna in early June:

-Early start, go to Schonbrunn Palace via the U4 and walk up to the Gloriette. No need to go inside the palace. Leave Schonbrunn by 11.

-Get off the U4 at Kettenbrückengasse and walk through the Naschmarkt. Take time to view the Majolika Haus and the Secession building which are adjacent to the market. Have lunch at one of the many restaurants at the market.

-After lunch walk to the Opera and do Frommer's Walking Tour #1. frommers.com/destinations/…0068020033.html

Ignore the food stop recommendations in the tour; instead have cake and coffee at Demel's (mentioned in stop #18).

-Get on Tram D in front of the Opera House in the direction of Nussdorf. Take the tram all the way to the end and have dinner at Scheubel-Auer. This is a heuriger (wine taverns run by wineries, which Vienna is famous for).

As you can probably tell, I prefer to see Vienna from the outside, rather than inside. If you are more of a museum type of person, I would skip Schonbrunn in the morning and visit the Belvedere instead, enjoying the gardens and the museum (Klimt's Kiss is there, as well as other treasures).

If your day in Vienna is a Sunday, note that the Naschmarkt will be closed. You can, however, see everything else listed here. Hopefully it won't rain.

Edited: 11 March 2013, 08:23
Seneca, South...
Level Contributor
95 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A Day in Vienna

Thank you for this wonderful plan for a day in Vienna. I will use it when I am there in June for one day before I fly out.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
10 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A Day in Vienna

Thank you for posting such a thoughtful selection of things to do! Can't wait to visit Vienna in June!

8. Re: A Day in Vienna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2014, 05:19