We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shoestring accommodation for a family with small kids

Skopje, Republic of...
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Shoestring accommodation for a family with small kids

Hi all,

We are going to be passing near Vienna on a trip to Berlin and would love to spend a night there. Alas, we can't seem to afford it unless we sleep in a 16-bed dorm which would be insane with young kids. Hence, anyone with a suggestion for a very, very affordable pension, b&b, budget hotel or even hostel with private rooms that is very, very (very!) clean? It can be outside the center, it can be very basic, it's all ok, as long as it's clean (and has no bedbugs. I've read too many reviews. :)

Thanks in advance.

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,388 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shoestring accommodation for a family with small kids

What exactly is your budget - and dates? That will help us in providing suggestions.

Skopje, Republic of...
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shoestring accommodation for a family with small kids

Well I was thinking of people suggesting based on past experiences, but if there are specific recommendations to be made- even better!

Re: budget, we don't have a specific number, but under 50 euros per night would be great. Based on my booking.com searches this seems unrealistic for Vienna, while it was perfectly ok for Budapest where we are also spending a night.

Re: dates, it could either be the night on Apr. 27th, or the night on May 4th. Both are Saturdays.

Thanks.

ETA: this is either a double with an extra bed, or a triple we're searching for.

Edited: 14 April 2013, 23:03
Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shoestring accommodation for a family with small kids

I'm afraid but it will be very difficult to find any room large enough for you and your kids on a weekend in spring for less than €50. I imagine all very very very clean triples at that price (if there are any!) will be booked out.

Possibly, some accomodations in that price range haven't made it onto booking.com or expedia yet, so here is the official website of the Viennese association of private room rentals:

www.netland.at/wien/apartment-vienna.htm

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
2,181 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shoestring accommodation for a family with small kids

You are not going to find anything in Vienna that is clean at that price. Why not look to the outskirts of Vienna instead, especially as you have a car. Consider staying in a farmhouse, which are immaculately kept, and cheap.

Here is a link to finding a farm - look for those in Lower Austria as this is the region that surrounds Vienna.

www.farmholidays.com/bundesverband/home.html…

Skopje, Republic of...
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shoestring accommodation for a family with small kids

Thank you! This is very helpful, I will look into both links. I am assuming the websites are secure?

I have found something we might use, a hotel called Austria Trend Hotel Bosei at 65е for a double w/ extra bed, with breakfast. It seems nice, though far away, next to a golf course of some kind. Would we be able to find public transportation into town easily from "next to the Wienerberg business and recreation area", wherever that is? Booking says that: "The city centre can be easily reached within 25 minutes by the Badner Bahn Tram. The Tscherttegasse Underground Station (line U6) is a 10-minute walk away." - would that be true/ manageable?

I am looking into moving the Vienna night for Sunday-Monday, as it seems there might be more options that way.

Thanks again for your help.

6. Re: Shoestring accommodation for a family with small kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2014, 07:16