We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vienna to London by train - confused, help please!!

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sheffield, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Vienna to London by train - confused, help please!!

As stated, I am somewhat confused regarding an online ticket I bought from the OBB site a couple of weeks ago. It's to go from Vienna to London on the City Night Line train via Munich and Paris in the last week of May 2013.

I thought it was a bit of a bargain at 49 Euros, but have just printed off the ticket and am now slightly worried! This is because the ticket only shows "Wien Meidling - Muenchen HBF" on the front, but then only " * - * " (i.e. no names) below this.

The 'fahrplan' that OBB emailed to me covers the whole journey, but I'm not sure what paperwork I should have for the Munich to Paris (and Paris to London) legs of the trip.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - I want to take the train rather than flying back, but don't want to end up getting stuck in Munich, as nice as it is!

Many Thanks

Vienna
Level Contributor
4,392 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vienna to London by train - confused, help please!!

I am not sure what you booked. Paris to London is Eurostar cross Channel train. EUR 49 sounds not possible from Vienna. Are you sure you did not just book a trip to Munich ?

Sheffield, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Vienna to London by train - confused, help please!!

Hi, yes I definitely booked Vienna to London - this is what is shown in the itinerary that OBB sent in their email. It breaks down the journey into 3 parts: 1. Leaving Vienna at 23:57 and arriving in Munich at 06:15 the following day. 2. Leaving Munich for Paris at 06:29 and arriving in Paris at 12:35. 3. Leaving Paris at 14:13 and arriving in London at 15:30.

I'm beginning to think you may be right, but the OBB website is quite misleading if so. I agree the price looked very cheap to me as well, though it now shows 'from 29 Euros' for the same journey if you search for trains leaving on 24/05/13.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vienna to London by train - confused, help please!!

First the €29 you can see for your date of 24/05.

The €29 ticket is a "Globalpreis Sparschiene International"

Notes on Tariffs Global price 'Sparschiene' Germany - Your ticket with seat reservation. Limited allocation restricted to a specific train, no exchange, no refund, no cancellation

Help text on this ticket shows

Please note: It is not possible to purchase all tickets for your journey online. Please choose either 1st or 2nd class and then refer to the price details for more information!

Click on price detail and you get

It is not possible to purchase your ticket online for the section of your journey „München Hbf - London St. Pancras International“. Please contact our ÖBB Customer Service on 05/1717.

So the million dollar question is what have you purchased for €49.

Best bet is e-mail ÖBB with your ticket number and confim what you have purchased,

If it's the Globalpreis Sparschiene International as above it's up to Munich only.

I don't have time to check every train on that day but most warn you

It is not possible to purchase your ticket online for the section of your journey XXXXXXXXXXXX

What time does your train leave Vienna, which station and what type of train? (Should be on your ticket)

Sheffield, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Vienna to London by train - confused, help please!!

I've had another look at the ticket, it says "Fahrschein + Reservierung" at the top. Below that it says "Wien Meidling -> Muenchen HBF". The train number is 462 and at the bottom it says "01 SparNight 1Kein Umtausch/Storno". The train leaves Vienna at 23:57 on 24/05/13.

The more I think about it, the more I am convinced I only have the Vienna to Munich part of the journey. It just seems odd that they've given the full route on the "Fahrplan", listing trains TGV 9576 and EST 9035 with departure/arrival times.

I've emailed OBB to double check and will post their reply when I have it. In the meantime I will look at my options for getting to London from Munich, or maybe a different route back from Vienna, possibly via Berlin. As a last resort I will fly but am hoping to avoid this if possible!

Thanks for your help by the way.

Vienna
Level Contributor
4,392 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vienna to London by train - confused, help please!!

You have a non refundable ticket to Munich with a reservation for that specific night train.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vienna to London by train - confused, help please!!

Just checked it's very clear on the website

Please note: It is not possible to purchase all tickets for your journey online. Please choose either 1st or 2nd class and then refer to the price details for more information!

It is not possible to purchase your ticket online for the section of your journey „München Hbf - London St. Pancras International“. Please contact our ÖBB Customer Service on 05/1717.

You have a ticket to Munich only.

Sheffield, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Vienna to London by train - confused, help please!!

Well at least I know for definite now - it wasn't clear to me at the time of booking tbh. Can now sort the rest, thanks chaps.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vienna to London by train - confused, help please!!

Just to give you a rough guide: Eurostar tickets between London & Paris are £38 per person when purchased about 3 months in advance of the date of travel. They go up considerably more the nearer you get to the date when you want to go.

9. Re: Vienna to London by train - confused, help please!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2014, 06:18