We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vienna in < than 24 hours

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Vienna in < than 24 hours

Hi,

My husband and I are traveling around a few places in Europe end of June. We'll be getting into Vienna around 11am from Salzburg and taking a train next day at 2.30 pm to Prague. I know its a very short duration - hopefully will be able to come back for a longer stay :)

I've been trying to understand what we can cover during this duration - I've got some ideas based on going thru the posts here but needed your guidance in finalizing the schedule:

- Head to Schonbrunn palace (assuming we get there by 1, will probably be there until 4 or so)

- Once we come back to the city center, most attractions should be closing by then. We were thinking of walking along the Ringtrasse/taking the tram and spend the evening walking around the city center

- Next day, start early - go to Hofburg palace, Stephansdom

- get back to the hotel to take the train out.

Is this doable? Are there any must see places that I've not included in the list?

Thanks for your guidance!

Regards,

Neha

Vienna
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vienna in < than 24 hours

Your plan sounds good. Vienna historic center can be walked easily within some hours. Schoennbrunn can be reached easily with underground train "U4" within 10 minutes. Try to stay in center (postal code 1010).

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vienna in < than 24 hours

That will work... on day 2, you may want to go to the Kunsthisoriches Museum (assuming you like museums) instead of the Hofbug. The Hofburg is very similar to Schonbrunn. At Stephansdom, make sure you either take the elevator or the stairs to the top and enjoy a view of Vienna. Enjoy your trip!

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
2,069 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vienna in < than 24 hours

I wouldn't do Hofburg if also doing Schonbrunn. Consider the Belvedere, the Naschmarkt/Majolikahaus/Secession/Karlskirche. Also visit a coffeehouse.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vienna in < than 24 hours

Thanks everyone! good to know we won't need to rush with the limited time. Thanks for the alternate suggestions - will look into them and try and cover something other than Hofburg.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vienna in < than 24 hours

An added option for you-

depending on the time of your visit - some sights can be open in the evening

examples

Haus der Musik

open until 10 PM daily

www.hausdermusik.at

www.hdm.at

Fine Arts museum / Kunsthistorisches Museum

open Thursday evening until 10

www.khm.at

Many sights are close together in the city center- Hofburg, Fine Arts Museum, Treasury, Neue Burg- 5 minutes walk-

Treasury

www.kaiserliche-schatzkammer.at

Save Church visits for evening - as they will be open and fewer people too.

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,466 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vienna in < than 24 hours

Great info on what to do in the evening.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vienna in < than 24 hours

Thank you so much for the options - will definitely visit some of them.

Another question for you - we'll be arriving into Vienna from Salzburg (Wien Westbahnhof), staying at Renaissance Wien Hotel (Linke Wienzeile/Ullmannstrasse 71 · Vienna, 1150 Austria and will be leaving from Meidling station.

In between, we want to do Schobrunn palace and a bunch of the other options given earlier. Does it make sense for us to take the Vienna 24 hour card or just pay for individual journeys? Not sure if the main sights will be walking distance from the hotel and what will work out cheaper.

Appreciate your guidance on this.

8. Re: Vienna in < than 24 hours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2014, 06:16