We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vienna day trips not impacted by floods...suggestions?

Breckenridge...
Level Contributor
99 posts
356 reviews
Save Topic
Vienna day trips not impacted by floods...suggestions?

So, I'm thinking of changing plans for the third time in 2 days! Was supposed to go Munich to Budapest by train Tuesday, but that trip sounds like a nightmare with delays and riding a bus part way!! So....if I end my journey in Vienna, what day trips will not be affected by floods (I assume Melk is out??). It will be my daughter (11) and me. We like cafes, architecture, history and wine ( me not her :-)). I would have 6 full days. Thank you for any advice!

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,894 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vienna day trips not impacted by floods...suggestions?

A popular day trip from Vienna usually is the Wachau and Melk/Krems which have been affected by the flooding. If you can't go on to Budapest (what I frankly doubt), then you could visit, for instance, the Austrian city of Graz which wasn't affected at all. This is possible as day trip, the landscape between Vienna and Graz is very picturesque.

Vienna
Level Contributor
4,947 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vienna day trips not impacted by floods...suggestions?

Go to Klosterneuburg - nice church, good wine and history. Close to Vienna. Vienna itself can fill many days and has nice little wine villages on outskirts. Schloss Laxenburg is also close to Vienna.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
15,670 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vienna day trips not impacted by floods...suggestions?

You could go to one of the wine villages and towns to the south of Vienna that nestle by the Vienna Woods. Perchtoldsdorf, Mödling, Gumpoldskirchen and Baden all follow one another on the south railway and are easily and cheaply reached.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vienna day trips not impacted by floods...suggestions?

Schlosshof -

www.schlosshof.at

A fine summer Palace with beautiful gardens, petting zoo, stable with many horses and on site restaurants.

The Palace recently restored and much furniture returned to its former home.

Access bus from Vienna - a boat sometimes too.

bus

www.blaguss.at

also a little harder to reach train S-7 then a little walking

Carnuntum

www.carnuntum.co.at

A former Roman outpost city to guard the frontier.

Numerous re built buildings - interesting as many do not realize the Danube a former border

5. Re: Vienna day trips not impacted by floods...suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2014, 06:16