We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

whats the best sightseeing tour to do in vienna?

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pembroke, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
whats the best sightseeing tour to do in vienna?

my wife and i are coming to vienna for two days in july.

what would be the best guided city tour to see the very best this city has to offer in terms of history and architecture in a compact time period?

(i'm aware this is nowhere near enough to get around everything, so i guess i just mean the best tour for those new to vienna).

many thanks in adnvance.

Mark

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: whats the best sightseeing tour to do in vienna?

Hi Mark,

Unless you want someone to recite facts and figures and stories to you for several hours, I don't know that taking a guided tour in central Vienna is really necessary.

Central Vienna (Innere Stadt) is very compact, perhaps a mile and a half across at most. It's all very walkable or very easily accessed by taking the ring tram. (There's a specific tram for tourists for about 14 € or so, and most people here say it isn't worth it. You can get on a regular tram with a day pass or single ticket for much less.)

The Hofburg Palace, Spanish Riding School, Imperial Treasury (impressive) are all in the same complex. Nearby is the Museums Quarter and not much farther away is St. Stephens Cathedral.

I took a trip out to Schönbrunn Palace (about 25 minutes by U-bahn) and it was quite impressive (think smaller scale, toned down version of Versailles). I would plan on 4-6 hours for a visit to Schönbrunn, however. (Some say that, if you're on a limited schedule, go to either the Hofburg or Schönbrunn, but it's not necessary to see both as they're similar experiences.)

One of the other places that I visited was the Naschmarkt, an open air food market.

I stayed in the Pension Suzanne, just around the corner from the Opera House.

For me, I would much rather experience the city on my own, walking through the streets, seeing what's in the shops, smelling the freshly baked breads in a bakery, and sampling some wurst from a street vendor, than sit on a bus and listen to someone lecturing. It makes for a much richer and more memorable experience.

Vienna is a very safe city, and I had trouble practicing my German because most everyone I interacted with spoke with me in English, so language won't be an issue.

My recommendation: Pick four or five destinations from the Top Questions About Vienna list at the top right of this page, put on a good pair of walking shoes, and enjoy the streets of Vienna up close and personal.

But it's your holiday, not mine, so if a guided tour is your thing, I hope you find something that meets your needs.

Zed

Pembroke, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: whats the best sightseeing tour to do in vienna?

Thankyou Zed

a very comprehensive and conclusive response.

i think i will do just that!

on a recent trip there with some of my friends we did walk from the cathedral up through the opera buidling and onto the presidential palaces; also there was a large park area with some amazing buildings over the road from there.

my only gripe was not knowing really what was what (its only by now reading up on the web i've found out the names of the buildings we were looking at).

anyway, after that day i felt we had only scratched the surface, but i will endeavour to take it all in on my next (hopefully slower paced) visit.

thanks again!

Mark

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
632 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: whats the best sightseeing tour to do in vienna?

Zed brought it all thoroughly and impressively .

if you'd like to see more of the history . then don't miss the Belveder palace (accessible by U1 bahn) , and you'd like to have something at the historical Coffee Houses ; the Café Landtmann,in Dr.-Karl-Lueger-Ring 4 (was Sigmund Freud's preferred café) . Cafe Mozart, Albertinaplatz 2, (the cafe in the movie The Third Man, now quite touristy. It's been a cafe since 1794 and is now part of the Cafes der Familie Querfeld chain.

to me , one of the most nice things to do in Vienna is a ride in the Fiaker , the horse carriage . check this website :

www.viennaticketoffice.com/detail_en.php…

Wien, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
3,575 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: whats the best sightseeing tour to do in vienna?

You can choose manydifferent ways to see Vienna : next to the buses you can walk, cycle, Fiaker, segway , jogging etc

www.wien.info/en/sightseeing/tours-guides

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
862 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: whats the best sightseeing tour to do in vienna?

We did the city ourselves and had just the DK Eyewitness Travel guide book on Vienna with us. It is a perfect tool to find out whats around you as you are viewing it.

Pembroke, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: whats the best sightseeing tour to do in vienna?

brilliant! i will get this Eyewitness travel guide.

thanks jdanh

7. Re: whats the best sightseeing tour to do in vienna?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2014, 05:17