We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your feedback on my Vienna itenary

Dubai
Level Contributor
151 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Your feedback on my Vienna itenary

Dear all,

After extensive research, below is draft of my trip to Vienna itenary. I am travelling solo, so I can start my day early and end my day late with a view to explore the key sights.

Day 1: arrive 6am 18th June. Plan is to cover all major key touristy sights such as st. Stephen cathedral, hofburg, state opera, hoher markt clock. Evening spend time in acquainting myself with the cafe scene.

Day 2: a day trip to Salzburg. Cover all my major sights there as much as possible.

Day 3: day trip to sconbrunn palace and grounds. On return, thinking to visit the museum quarter.

After Vienna, and I head to Prague and back again to Vienna on day 7. This day I plan to cover belvedere palace and do some souvenirs shopping.

I have few questions:

1. Which is the best place to buy some good quality and reasonable souvenirs?

2 . Is my itenary too packed? If not, is there anything I should add or replace?

Cheers

Vienna
Level Contributor
4,627 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Your feedback on my Vienna itenary

Vienna needs 2-3 days and you will see major sights. Maybe you should review to go Vienna - Salzburg - Prague - Vienna and avoid going back and forward.

Dubai
Level Contributor
151 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Your feedback on my Vienna itenary

Your suggestion makes ssense. Just did a quick check and it appears there aren't any direct trains from Salzburg to Prague. There is a stop over at Linz. Are there direct busses?

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Your feedback on my Vienna itenary

Hi,

One other option to free up some time...

When I went to Vienna for four days in December, people recommended seeing either Schönbrunn Palace OR the Hofburg Palace, but not both as they are similar experiences. I opted to see Schönbrunn and really enjoyed it and the open grounds that it's on.

I did, however, see the Imperial Treasury in the Hofburg complex, and that was quite impressive as well.

Enjoy your visit.

Zed

Dubai
Level Contributor
151 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Your feedback on my Vienna itenary

You have a valid point, I have been told few folks the same.

My concern now is that if I should stay in Salzburg and from there head to Prague or return to Vienna after my day trip and then head to Prague

Vienna
Level Contributor
4,627 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Your feedback on my Vienna itenary

Train from Salzburg to Linz is about one hour and then you change to train going to Prague. Is no big problem. Check your options - www.oebb.at

Vienna
Level Contributor
4,627 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Your feedback on my Vienna itenary

It looks like train connections from Linz are complicated and fastest is a bus - whole trip would take up to 7 hours from Salzburg. It looks easier to stay with your plan to go to Salzburg for day trip and then to take Vienna - Prague train. Sorry for confusion - one would think connections are better but for close to 50 years borders were closed and there was no traffic.

Dubai
Level Contributor
151 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Your feedback on my Vienna itenary

I reckon that's what I should stick to.

One question regarding, if I make it for a day trip to Salzburg, will I be able to do the main highlights? Salzburg looks more appealing to me then vienna but since I have limited time in for Austria. I don't want to end up missing out on Vienna.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Your feedback on my Vienna itenary

Hi,

Salzburg has a very compact city center, so you should be able to get a good feel for it in a day.

A definite is the Hohensalzburg fortress high above the city. Great views from there. The Mirabell Palace and grounds were quite nice as well. So was simply walking along the Salzach River.

Zed

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
635 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Your feedback on my Vienna itenary

if you want a nice advice , on day 2 consider seeing Hallstatt (close to Salzburg) , impressive place . a paradise on earth .

Dubai
Level Contributor
151 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Your feedback on my Vienna itenary

I appreciate your advice but I planned to do a day trip to sconbrunn as well.

I will do a quick research on Hallstatt. If its more like a honeymooner or romantic couples place, then I saved it for the future to be done with my wife :)