We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gifts from US

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia, Pa...
1 post
Save Topic
Gifts from US

Coming from USA to visit a friend I have not seen in 30+ years, also staying with her for 2 weeks. What is a good gift idea to bring from US?

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,172 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gifts from US

Ask your friend what she likes most about the USA and try to find something she mentions. When I was visiting Vienna and a friend I hadn't seen in 15+ years, I asked him what he'd like and he wanted a Washington Redskins football jersey (American Football). Not something I would have thought about so it's best to ask. You may end up getting her something she will todd in the closet never to be seen again.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gifts from US

Hi Pat

I've brought small desk calendars (e.g., Ansel Adams, Sierra Club) and books that show either the US as a whole or the particular region that I lived in at the time. On my very first trip overseas to Japan, I brought a book of Norman Rockwell prints to give them a glimpse into quintessential Americana. Perhaps your friend has a favorite artist.

Calendars are perhaps a bit more practical (but your friend will have to get used to the week starting on Sunday instead of Monday, as most European calendars do), plus they're very easy to throw in a suitcase without taking up much room or adding much weight.

Not sure if that helps or not... Enjoy your visit (that will be the best gift of all for your friend!).

Zed

Level Contributor
537 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gifts from US

I bought a friend who I hadn't t seen for ages a Tiffany bowl from Tiffany s. it was less than $100

Wien, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gifts from US

better ask it is much easier for both of you ;)

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Ghana, Vienna
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gifts from US

I'd want a cheesesteak or a Tastykake butterscotch krimpet.

SoCal
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gifts from US

If they are wine lovers, a bottle of wine from one of the US wine regions (California and Oregon both have many world-class wines of all price points) might be something to consider. Since you would have to pack the wine well to survive the trip, you would most likely have a carrier or padded sleeve to bring back some of the great local wines, so your gift would serve double duty, :-)

VA
Level Contributor
288 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gifts from US

If your friend celebrates Christmas, perhaps the White House Christmas tree ornaments (issued annually) would be appropriate. The White House Historical Society also sells books, "signed" Presidential Easter eggs and lots of other patriotic items.

Also, if you have an old photo of you and friend, frame and deliver it with a message of remembrance.

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,455 posts
391 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gifts from US

A box of local chocolates.

Gradivo
Level Contributor
25 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gifts from US

For my Austrian friends, I bring over items made by Native Americans which I buy at the Smithsonian Museum of the American Indian to guarantee authenticity; vintage quilts (bulky but lightweight); peanut candy; Kona coffee; and CDs of American music like Charles Ives or Bruce Springsteen. Tiffany is also a good idea but remember not to put crystal items in your carry-on luggage because it will be unwrapped by the TSA. For some reason, good crystal creates a "black spot" on the x-ray screen.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,042 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gifts from US

I think that the present that your friend will appreciate most, is yourself!

but why not take a pile of digital photos of you, your friends and the local area, have them put in a photo book and bring that?