We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fahrschein train ticket OEBB

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
48 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Fahrschein train ticket OEBB

Sorry if this has been covered before. I purchased a fahrschin ticket online from the OEBB website (railjet from Vienna to Budapest), because the discount tickets were all gone. I thought I chose my train departure time, but when I printed out the tickets it doesn't have any of that information. I am assuming that means that I can depart on any of the railjet trains for that entire day?

And, do I have to exchange this printout for a ticket at the station for the train I choose, or does the conductor take care of it on the train....and do I validate at any point?

I could not find this information on the OEBB website.

Thanks for helping!

Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fahrschein train ticket OEBB

It sounds as if you bought a regular, full-fare ticket.

"Fahrschein" means a "ticket" or "ticket to go". A "Sparschein" is a "savings tickets, which is sold at a reduced fare, but it is valid for only a particular train and is non-refundable.

Please check again, but I think you paid full fare, which means you can go with any train.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
2,230 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fahrschein train ticket OEBB

And you can use any train, not just the Railjet train.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,459 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fahrschein train ticket OEBB

Tickets subject to standard fare are fully flexible and thus can't have a specific departure time. The ÖBB website does not clearly mention that. By the way, it is not necessary to purchase standard fare tickets in advance as there is no real benefit.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
48 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fahrschein train ticket OEBB

Thanks, that's what I thought. I assume also, that I just show the emailed ticket on the train when asked, so I don't have to validate it prior to boarding?

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
419 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Fahrschein train ticket OEBB

I'm not sure about the print-at-home-option for e-tickets to Hungary.

I recommend to print your e-ticket, but please ask at the ticket office at the departure station, whether this is sufficient. If not, they should be able to exchange it to a "real" ticket.

6. Re: Fahrschein train ticket OEBB

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2014, 06:20