We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Austria Trend Savoyen Transfers

Indianapolis...
11 posts
Save Topic
Austria Trend Savoyen Transfers

My new wife and I will be taking our honeymoon in Budapest, Vienna, and Prague. We will be arriving in Vienna on 8/25 from Budapest, leaving for Prague on 8/28. I have three questions:

1) What is the best way for two people to get from the Westbahnhof station to the Austria Trend Savoyen hotel? We arrive at 14:12 in the afternoon.

2) What is the best way to get from the Austria Trend Savoyen hotel to Student Agency bus to Prague? It says the bus departs from Lassallestr./Praterstern, which is apparently a 3.0 km walk from the hotel. The bus leaves for Prague at 6:40 in the morning.

3) Given that we arrive on a Sunday afternoon, what are some activities we should do once we've settled at the hotel that can fit in an afternoon/evening? I'd imagine we could arrive at the station, get to our hotel, check-in, unpack, and be out the door before 17:00. 2.5 days (not even) seems like a short amount of time to visit the must-sees of Vienna so I'd like to maximize the afternoon that we arrive.

I've looked at the Vienna in 3 Days guide, but am looking for any personal input for the Sunday activities.

I appreciate any and all help. Thanks

Wien, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
3,832 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Austria Trend Savoyen Transfers

Since you are so close to the Botanical Garden, have a nice enjoyable walk and rest there.

Indianapolis...
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Austria Trend Savoyen Transfers

The Botanical Garden looks wonderful. That might be the perfect activity to do before a relaxing Viennese dinner.

Any suggestions on transfers?

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
2,285 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Austria Trend Savoyen Transfers

I would suggest a walk around the Belvedere Palace grounds, which are close to your hotel. The museum at the Upper Belvedere (where Klimt's famous Kiss painting is located) closes at 6 pm. You could then hop on tram 71 which will get you around the ring. Get off at the Rathaus (city hall) and have dinner at the Food and Film Festival. There are many well-known Vienna restaurants set-up there through the summer with various signature drinks. For example, I just had some great sushi from Dots, a well known restaurant, and a great glass of Sangria from another stall. You will also find traditional Viennese food, Croatian, Indian, Persian, etc. It is a good way to sample food from some better restaurants easily. After dark, you can watch the film and then stroll around the ring back to your hotel (hop on tram 71 if you get tired).

Arriving from Budapest - exit the train at Wien Meidling. Take any S-Bahn (regional train) on track 3 or 4 and get off at Rennweg (4 stops); total journey time is 10 minutes. Take the elevators/escalators at the back end of the train, turn right on Rennweg and your hotel will be 2 blocks down.

Departing for Prague - go to Rennweg train station; take any S-bahn train on track 2 and exit at Praterstern (2 stops); total journey time is 7 minutes; walk to bus stop. Don't walk - that is way too far with luggage. Trains start running very early.

Edited: 05 August 2013, 22:02
Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
15,666 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Austria Trend Savoyen Transfers

Really good advice from Cherries. Meidling is the stop before Westbahnhof and when you are on the platform overhead screens show you the next train and where it stops so just make sure Rennweg is on the list.

Indianapolis...
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Austria Trend Savoyen Transfers

Awesome, thank you so much!! Printing this

6. Re: Austria Trend Savoyen Transfers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2014, 05:17