We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Group ticket in public transport

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
405 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Group ticket in public transport

I think I browsed all necessary and official sites already but I ask here too - does Vienna have group tickets for public transportation?

I think they don't as I couldn't find any information about that. We are 5-people group and visiting Vienna on the weekend and seems that we have to purchase 48hour ticket to everybody?

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
14,230 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Group ticket in public transport

There is an 8 strip ticket that can be shared by several people. You punch one strip for each person and they get a full day's use of the public transport system. Each ticket costs €35.80 and would let 4 people travel for 48 hours. The 5th person would need a 48 hour card at €12.40 making a total of €48.20 which is a small saving on the €62 that five 48 hour tickets would cost.

wienerlinien.at/eportal/…-8366

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,303 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Group ticket in public transport

Norman - I forget, but on the strip ticket, do they all have to stay together? (2 people can't go one direction and 2 people in another.)

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
14,230 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Group ticket in public transport

You're right KimBux, all those who have validated a strip on the same sheet must travel together, but if some want to walk the others can travel without them. All those travelling must be "with the strip" - you can't tear it in two!

Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
405 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Group ticket in public transport

Thanks guys, this was useful hint. Wonder why I didn't notice it by myself...

But for S7 from airport to city center I have to purchase additional ticket anyway?

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
14,230 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Group ticket in public transport

The S7 covers two zones - one in Vienna and one out. The 8 strip ticket would theoretically cover both if you used two strips per person, but that is wasteful. If the airport journey is one of the days you intend to travel round Vienna use the strip for that part of the journey in Vienna (plus the rest of the day's journeys) and buy one extra €2.10 ticket for the part outside the city or if you don't intend to stray far on the first day buy two €2.10 tickets per person which would get you from the airport to the hotel, but no later journeys. All tickets can be bought at the airport machines, but be careful to validate them in the blue boxes before you board the train.

wienerlinien.at/eportal/…-8366

Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
405 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Group ticket in public transport

Thanks again. Now it's more than clear.

7. Re: Group ticket in public transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2014, 05:18