We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Struggling with hotel choice

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
253 posts
176 reviews
Save Topic
Struggling with hotel choice

We will be spending 4 nights in Vienna in December and I am really struggling with hotel choice. We are an early 30s couple with 3 year old daughter. We want to visit Christmas markets and enjoy the city. We are comfortable with public transport and would like to stay under 250 euros per night.

We prefer an indoor pool for our daughter but not mandatory.

Is the Marriott a good choice?

The kempinski looks great but is a touch more than I'd like to spend.

Appreciate any thoughts!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
54 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Struggling with hotel choice

My advice is to read the hotels reviews in TA: I think the advice provided by reviewers is invaluable, and you will get ideas on the best hotel for your needs. In October 2013, we are staying at the Hilton Vienna Danube; there are several metro stations close to the hotel so we will have no problem getting around Vienna by public transit. Hilton is located next to the Danube, with plenty of walkways along the river which is a plus.

Enjoy you time in Vienna!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
127 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Struggling with hotel choice

Hi adybugx87

As DarrellRS said, TripAdvisor is such a useful guide when it comes to choosing a hotel. With it plus Google Maps, one knows everything about the place before arriving. We've used this pairing to book an apartment (literally) just down the road from the Coliseum in Rome, an apartment with windows overlooking Pula's arena in Croatia . . . and then we used it book the Hotel Altstadt Vienna (Kirchengasse 41), currently #7 of 363 is Vienna.

It was our first stop after 26 hours of travel from Australia, so we booked a suite - we were travelling with a 13-year old who needed her own room - but they have some great rooms and, for the price you mention, you can probably get a Suite or a Junior Suite. This is in Spittelberg, a short walk from its quite small but still lovely Christmas market. The hotel is less than two blocks walk to each of two parallel tram lines, and not much further to Volkstheatre underground station. The breakfast buffet is amazing, and the they have cakes and coffee available in the afternoon. The staff had the multi-day transport tickets available, and we couldn't have found a better place to start two months' vacation - we really want to get back there again. (No pool though.)

There are several markets in Vienna, and if you take trams and trains you can get to them all in four days without any trouble (we did). It wasn't as if we were finding different things in each, for they are very similar, but we just enjoyed wandering around and taking in the atmosphere. But our favourites were the two largest ones closest to our hotel: in the gardens at the Rathaus and in Maria-Theresien-Platz between the two museums.

Have a great trip.

Gary @ Melbourne Australia

Wien, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
3,789 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Struggling with hotel choice

the Hilton Danube is maybe not the best option with a 3 years old despite it is now close to the U2 Stop.

Have a look around the 4 and 5 district , close to the city center and the hotels are cheaper than in the fist. district.

India
Level Contributor
19 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Struggling with hotel choice

Hi, I am travelling with my 2 kids in mid October and after great research have booked in Suite Novotel in Wien. The TA reviews are quite encouraging too as it is near to the public transportation and the rooms are quite big (323 sq ft) for European standards. This hotel seems to be situated just behind the Main city centre as it has a pincode of 1020. I have stayed in Novotel's earlier and they are value for money proposition - 4 star category with all one could want.

Can have a look at it. Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
844 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Struggling with hotel choice

I am a fan of the Intercontinental, and I have just checked their friends and family rate, if you are prepared to pay on booking, rates start from €115 per night, but for €168 you can get aClub Room which includes Club Lounge access ie free breakfast, and other stuff like afternoon tea, snacks and a very popular happy hour with drinks an light evening snacks. It is across the road from the metro which takes you to Schonbrun christmas market and is close to most other markets. You budget will also get you a junior suite with lounge access. There's no pool though. I think the combination of location, great staff, suite and lounge within your budget makes it a possibility.

Enjoy your trip.

6. Re: Struggling with hotel choice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2014, 06:22