We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying central Vienna, do I need a 3 day transport ticket?

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Staying central Vienna, do I need a 3 day transport ticket?

Visiting in December (first visit !) principally for the Christmas markets and general vibe of central Vienna.

Will be staying at the Graben Hotel (Dorotheersgasse 3).

Discounting arrival & departure days, we will be there all day on a Thursday/Friday/Saturday and at present the only real travel I know we will do is a trip out to Schönbrunn Palace for the market there, and maybe the palace itself.

In the daytime I envisage nothing more structured than mooching around, popping into the odd museum, gallery or church or similar, stopping for coffee and cake, and some nice local restaurants, but we don't have an itinerary as such, will get a guide book and plan to mostly walk >> if that's realistic<< as I'll need to burn off the sachertorte somehow.

In other words, this is all a long winded way of asking, is there enough within walking distance of where we'll be staying that we might as well just walk nearly everywhere (which currently seems to be the case to me) , and so will only need to pay for the odd trip or two, or realistically is it similar to somewhere like London, where you just cannot walk everywhere, in which case the 72 hour card looks like a no-brainer, plus its obviously easier, just one purchase instead of fishing for coins all the time. (or maybe the 72 hour Vienna card, its discounts don't actually look huge to me but i suppose saving 5€ cant be too hard)

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying central Vienna, do I need a 3 day transport ticket?

You CAN walk to nearly everything you want to see except Schonbrunn Palace. It's about a 15 minute ubahn ride (U4 - green line) from Karlsplatz to the Schonbrunn stop. Karlsplatz is the main hub in the city center where you can access three lines - U4, U1 (red) and U2 (purple). It's located by the Opera House. I don't know why, but I always by an ubahn pass when I am in Vienna - it's so convenient to hop on a tram or take the ubahn when you are too tired to walk. For instance, you walk up Mariahilferstrasse to shop and don't feel like walking back to the city center. Jump on the U3 (orange) and that takes you right back to Stephansplatz which would be close to your hotel. Hope this helps and have a great trip!!

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
16,149 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying central Vienna, do I need a 3 day transport ticket?

I wouldn't bother Joe. We had a week in Vienna in May staying, like you, in the first district and used the transport system twice - once to go to Schönbrunn and once to go for a walk round the Donau Park and Donauinsel. As it was nice weather we walked to the Prater and back. So I'd just buy single tickets as needed and maybe get a one day pass the day you go to Schönbrunn and try to go somewhere else further afield within that 24 hour period.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,901 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying central Vienna, do I need a 3 day transport ticket?

I personally would get one. Even if you don't get full value out of it, and notwithstanding the fact that the centre is very walkable, it is always useful to have one rather than fishing about for change if it is raining, or you are just feeling lazy. Some places, such as the aforementioned Schonbrunn, or maybe Nussdorf should you wish to visit an authentic Heurigen (but as you are going in winter that won't be a consideration) , need a U-Bahn or tram ride.

But if you are not lazy and you don't mind a bit of rain/snow, should there be any, then don't bother :)

Edited: 15 September 2013, 17:51
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying central Vienna, do I need a 3 day transport ticket?

Thanks folks, if I decide to buy as I go can I pay a conductor on the bus or is it a machine (so i had better start searching the house for all those euro coins in odd corners) and I presume that when I enter a bus with a pre bought ticket of any sort I get it validated in the machine?

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
137 posts
647 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying central Vienna, do I need a 3 day transport ticket?

There are machines on the trams but the tickets are more expensive than buying them from a Tabak. I personally would buy the Vienna card which I think provides 72 hours of unlimited public transportation AND discounts to some of the sights. Most everything in the center IS within walking distance but I still think you will would get your money's worth if you take public to Schoenbrunn, to the Prater, around the ring, to the Belvedere, or even up to the 19th district to see the vineyards and heuriger, or to Cobenzl, Kahlenberg, Leopoldsdorf, the Donau Insel, Zentralfriedhof...it just opens up more possibilities, will let you see even more, and saves you precious time.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,358 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying central Vienna, do I need a 3 day transport ticket?

We are just back from six glorious days in Vienna , staying in Stephansplatz.Only used the transport for airport run, Schonbrunn and Nussdorf so it made economic sense to buy a handful of tickets at the machine in Stephansplatz station.....being 'lucky' enough to be 60 and over, we got two for one tickets as recommended by a very helpful guy in the office of the station.

Having said that, we have booked to go back and next time will buy the weekly ticket...Monday to Monday...15euro.... And be able to hop on as often and as spontaneously as we wish

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
16,149 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying central Vienna, do I need a 3 day transport ticket?

If your dates fit the weekly ticket is great value, but it strictly runs Monday to Monday. As for the Vienna Card I'm not a fan, but read the article in the top questions above right.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,358 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying central Vienna, do I need a 3 day transport ticket?

NormanC....do you know if we can buy the weekly card at the airport? Arriving on a Monday at about 11 am for six days so would suit us beautifully. Can we top it up with a one zone ticket for the trip into Stephanplatz?

......You were right....the transport system is very easy to negotiate and a lot more pleasant than the Tube!

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying central Vienna, do I need a 3 day transport ticket?

Hi,

I was in Vienna the first week of last December and, while central Vienna is very walkable, having a transit pass came in quite handy when there was a light drizzle that turned to cold, wet snow a couple of days.

Also, after I had walked around scouting around the city, it allowed me to return to places that I wanted to see in depth more quickly, saving some walking time.

Finally, I suspect that most of us that travel have a modicum of interest in geography. Check out the Globe Museum--very interesting.

Zed

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
16,149 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying central Vienna, do I need a 3 day transport ticket?

Sure you can get it at the airport. At €15.80 it's a steal. Just buy that and a one zone ticket for €2.10 at the ticket machines. Coming back you need to buy another one zone ticket to reach the airport.