We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from vienna to Ljubljana

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
70 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Train from vienna to Ljubljana

We will be travelling from vienna to Ljubljana in may next year.

How much would we expect to pay in euros first class? How do I book?

My travel agent has provided a quote however wondering if I can book it cheaper on'-line or when we arrive in vienna two days earlier?

25 replies to this topic
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,597 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from vienna to Ljubljana

Never use a travel agent for train tickets in Europe as they haven't got a clue and will (possibly unwittingly) give you wrong advice and will rip you off.

The timetables for next May are not out yet, so nobody can give you a quote yet as there may not even be any trains. Tickets become available 90 days before travel, and ONLY use the authorised outlets for buying your tickets, in this case Austrian Railways, OEBB www.oebb.at/en more information here oebb.at/en/…index.jsp . Currently you can buy a ticket on the direct train from €19 in second class, or €29 in 1st class, and collect the ticket in Vienna. Next year should be similar, but we won't know yet until about October, and then you won't be able to book until at least February. Tickets at these prices are limited in number, so when they are sold they go up in €10 increments - a bit like a budget airline.

The full priced standard ticket is €72,20 in second class, or €115 in first, and you can buy that on the day - that ticket can be used on any train/s in between the two cities stopping as many times as you like, within the space of a month, so you pay for the extra flexibility. The discounted tickets are restricted to a particular train. If you buy a couple of days before travel you will pay the full price.

You can buy a return ticket from OEBB as well, usually at the same price as the outward ticket, subject to availability.

The difference between 1st and 2nd is not great on that train, but if the difference is only €10 for 1st, go for it.

1st: vagonweb.cz/fotogalerie/…IMGP4245.jpg

2nd: vagonweb.cz/fotogalerie/…IMGP4457.jpg or vagonweb.cz/fotogalerie/…R0012892.jpg

How much did your travel agent 'quote'?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
70 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from vienna to Ljubljana

Thanks for this - great info. The travel agent quoted the equivalent of 159 euros each first class based on 2013 prices! Very different. The cheap tickets could go up quite a few increments before more expensive than this. I assume no-one can book more than 90 days in advance , even a travel agent? Interestingly, I was told the train left at 1230 and arrived 1830 which is at odds with the OBB timetable. The train was to go via Villach I think.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,597 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from vienna to Ljubljana

No - nobody can book that far in advance, especially not a travel agent. Even if you buy a first class ticket on the day it will 'only' cost €115, but why spend so much when you can get exactly the same ticket for €29 (or, more realistically, €39, as the very cheapest ones go almost immediately) if you buy a couple of months before travel directly from the rail operator?

What the travel agent does is to go to a re-seller, usually Rail Europe (or Rail Plus in Australia), which sells the ticket at an inflated price in the first place, and then sells it on to you with an extra mark-up. The discounted price is only valid on the direct train at 0803, but who knows if that train will even run next year? The chances are that it will, but it is highly irresponsible to offer to sell a ticket for a train that might not even exist AND at a hyper-inflated price.

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from vienna to Ljubljana

Resurrect this.

What stations in Vienna and Ljubljana is it the trains leave/arrive?

Got a train from Budapest tomorrow to Vienna west station and need to get a train onwards to Vienna. Hoping I don't have to make a mad dash across town to grab the next train.

Also, do most major stations in Vienna offer a locker service and if so how much?

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,597 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from vienna to Ljubljana

Trains to Ljubljana go from Meidling, but the train from Budapest goes to Meidling before it goes to Westbahnhof, so get off there.

However the quickest way is via Maribor or Zagreb. No need to go through Vienna. See www.idos.cz for times.

Buy your ticket tomorrow at the station - €39 'Ljubljana special'

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from vienna to Ljubljana

Hey. Thanks for the information.

We already have the Vienna tickets. It was a nightmare getting information in Budapest that was correct. We were told conflicting information by 2-3 people and told trains didn't exist that another lady told us did. I will put a post up in the other forum about it. The staff at the main Budapest station were almost all disinterested and unhelpful. Quite shocked.

Anyway. It seems the train I want to Ljubljana is approx €80 which is too expensive as it stands. Looking at car sharing.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,597 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from vienna to Ljubljana

As you have found out it is a lot more expensive via Vienna, and you have to change in Villach as well - your tickets to Vienna hopefully only cost €13 so you could cut your losses and go via Zagreb as described above and just buy the tickets at the station. The €39 tickets are unlimited in number, but only valid on the train via Zagreb.

See the above link for a definitive timetable - the train times will not be different!

More information in here europetrainsguide.com/Countries/Hungary/Hung…

and you could run this through google translate mav-start.hu/utazas/…

Edited: 30 March 2014, 17:59
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from vienna to Ljubljana

Hi,

I am looking at travelling by train from Vienna to Ljubljana in August , can you let me know the name of the station in Vienna that I book the ticket from?

I assume that it is direct.

Thanks.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,597 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from vienna to Ljubljana

Just enter 'WIEN' and 'LJUBLJANA' in www.oebb.at/en and it will do the rest. It departs from Meidling.

Cost from €29 on the direct train at 0803, available now. Collect the ticket in Vienna.

Sydney
Level Contributor
41 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from vienna to Ljubljana

Dear Friends

The train trip from Vienna to Ljubjana take about 6-7 hrs.

Is the scenery sufficient enchanting to offset the time or should we be better off lying there instead ?

Middle of May I am thinking of.

Thanks

Reply to: Train from vienna to Ljubljana
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted