We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budapest vs Salzburg vs Prague

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Budapest vs Salzburg vs Prague

I have 5 days in mid October during which using Vienna as a base I would like to visit atleast 2 other cities in the vicinity. I have heard great things about each of them but given the lack of time I am torn between Budapest, Prague and Salzburg/Tirol.

I will be traveling with my wife .. we are looking for a scenic, laid back vacation and we like to keep things spontaneous, but also want to see as much as we can since we don't travel to Europe very frequently.

My tentative itinerary right now is 2 days in Vienna, 1 in Tirol and 2 in Budapest/Prague or Salzburg. I am not tied down to this so any suggestions would be appreciated. Help!

Edited: 19 September 2013, 04:43
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,820 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budapest vs Salzburg vs Prague

With only 5 days you should not try to visit so many places.You say you want a laid back vacation, but you also say you want to see as much as you can. Frankly with only 5 days you cannot have both. Prague and Tirol are too far from Vienna to be comfortable day trips. Even Budapest is a 3 hour train trip one way, and would be a very time consuming day trip. With the amount of time you have you should only visit Vienna and maybe Salzburg.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
632 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budapest vs Salzburg vs Prague

I second comment # 1 . it's impossible to do all these places in just 5 days . between Vienna/Salzburg and Vienna/Budapest , I would definitely go for Vienna/Budapest (taking into consideration that you'd like to see as much as you can in 5 days ) . to be doable , I would recommend that you stay three days in Vienna (only two nights) and leave to Budapest on the late afternoon of the third day . thus you don't lose half a day for travelling between two cities . it's about 3 hrs by train , arrive at night and rest , then you will have two full days for Budapest . I would stay more than this in Budapest , but two days are enough to see the major attractions (Castle area , Andrassy Ut and the river side ) .

enjoy

London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budapest vs Salzburg vs Prague

Thank you for your suggestions. We will keep it simple I guess and cover Vienna and Budapest.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budapest vs Salzburg vs Prague

More simple would be Vienna and Salzburg. This would also give you the chance to explore the countryside rather that stick to large cities.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,355 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budapest vs Salzburg vs Prague

I go with the Vienna Salzburg recommendation. the op wants scenic....and Salzburg is by far the most scenic area.

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,303 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budapest vs Salzburg vs Prague

I agree with Cherries...... There is enough to see in Vienna and Salzburg to fill 5 days and you will get a beautiful view of the countryside. I love Vienna and Salzburg is gorgeous. Have a great trip!

7. Re: Budapest vs Salzburg vs Prague

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2014, 06:20