We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vienna in December

Kiama, Australia
Level Contributor
80 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Vienna in December

We are staying in Vienna from December 16th to December 20th. We will be going to the Christmas Markets and the ballet at the Opera House. Can anybody please advise us of any day train trips we could take or any other must do activities. I believe a visit to the Central Cemetery is a must to see the graves of the famous composers. Thank you for your help. :)

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Schoenbrunn Palace Concert
283 Reviews
from US$56.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Schönbrunn Palace Audio Tour with...
671 Reviews
from US$123.80*
Skip the Line Schönbrunn Palace and...
745 Reviews
from US$67.50*
Vienna Hop-On Hop-Off Bus Tour
462 Reviews
from US$19.10*
Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vienna in December

Hi,

Vienna at Christmas is magical. With only 4 days there, I'm not sure you have time for a side trip. You could easily spend a couple of days just wandering the center of the city looking at the lights over the streets and the decorations, and going to Christmas markets.

There are plenty of museums in the city center. Two of my favorites were the Imperial Treasury (Schatzkammer) and the Globe Museum, an obscure little museum dedicated to globes (great for geography geeks like me). I also went to the morning rehearsal of the Spanish Riding School.

I would recommend a trip out to Schönbrunn Palace. It's a quick 20-25 minute subway ride from the city center, and you can easily spend half a day or more there. I went on a weekday in early December 2012 and walked right up to the window and bought my ticket with no waiting. Others recommend purchasing your ticket in advance. Either way, you'll have a designated entrance time when you can begin your self-guided tour (using audio guides in English). Schönbrunn also has its own Christmas market.

Something else that I enjoyed was just wandering through the Naschmarkt, an open air food market (yes, even in December) with a wide variety of foods available. There were plenty of little stands where you could buy prepared food for breakfast or lunch as well.

Enjoy your visit.

Zed

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Spanish Riding School
Spanish Riding School
2,615 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
Vienna Naschmarkt
Vienna Naschmarkt
2,601 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
Melbourne
Level Contributor
195 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vienna in December

Hi Barbara

Deja Vu + 12 months! We arrived in Vienna on 15 December 2012 for filled four days there without any trouble (even allowing for jet lag after 26 hours of travel and being awake for most of a total of 41 hours! There are Christmas markets in several places in the city, and some amazing museums: the Kunsthistorisches Museum (Art History Museum) has an amazing collection of the masters including an impressive collection of Klimt's works including the main stairwell (visit the wonderful cafe here). Then you can (must!) see the Venus of Willendorf and some great dinosaurs at the Museum of Natural History (Naturhistorisches Museum). AND the square between these two building has one of the nicer Christmas Markets.

But we did leave Vienna for a few hours and took a train to Sopron in Hungary (just over the border) on the last day and wandered about this old town. We were only away from Vienna from 10.00am to 4.00pm but it was such a change in pace to Vienna, but we met some lovely people, found two great restaurants and some wonderful and quite unique table cloths for our home.

Have a great trip!

Gary @ Melbourne Australia

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Kunsthistorisches Museum
Kunsthistorisches Museum
7,825 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
Hungary
Hungary
Europe
Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
16,829 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vienna in December

Although Klimt did contribute to the decorations at the KHM the main collection of his works is at the Belvedere palace.

Mentioned in this post
Klimt Hotel
Klimt Hotel
132 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
Kiama, Australia
Level Contributor
80 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vienna in December

Zed, thank you for your suggestions and yes I think a visit to the Schonbrunn Palace is a must. the open air food markets sound yummy.

Gary, thank you so much for your suggestions. Very helpful especially the train into Hungary for the day. I can so relate to the long long flight. We were like that a few years ago when we flew to Russia from Sydney. That's the only problem with living down under! We are really looking forward to the Christmas markets and are actually spending Christmas in Krakow Poland.

Thanks again to you both for your help. :)

Mentioned in this post
Schonbrunn  Palace
Schonbrunn Palace
32,297 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
Hungary
Hungary
Europe
Russia
Russia
Europe
Krakow
Krakow
Lesser Poland Province, Poland
Kiama, Australia
Level Contributor
80 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vienna in December

Thanks Norman. I think I had better go and get some culture too. :)

Melbourne
Level Contributor
195 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vienna in December

Norman. Yes, of course, thanks - just loved the staircase (with scaffolding to allow one to get up really close) and forgot that we saw other artists' work there.

This page is a good reference: justvienna.com/emotional-landmarks-vienna/…

Cheers, Gary

7. Re: Vienna in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2014, 05:18