We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Year's Eve with kids

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
27 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
New Year's Eve with kids

Hi,

I'm thinking of visiting Vienna for a week around NYE with family - including two girls of 12 and 9. Is it the right time to visit? Would there be interesting activities for kids?

I would also like to explore around the city, by taking some tours etc. Can you suggest any such activities, or is it the wrong time of the year?

Thank you!

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
14,227 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Year's Eve with kids

Personally I think there are better times to visit with kids. A lot of the NYE celebrations are geared towards adults, but the park in front of the Rathaus does have kid orientated activities. Christmas markets are gone. The zoo functions all year round, but the Prater amusement park, for example, is closed. Cold weather and short days limit outdoor activities. But if your kids prefer museums to fairground rides then I suppose any time of year is OK.

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
27 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Year's Eve with kids

Dear Norman,

Thanks for your kind feedback. I guess we either travel as a couple only or else leave it for a warmer period of the year!

Vienna
Level Contributor
2,385 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: New Year's Eve with kids

I agree with Norman. For kids outdoor activities would be much interesting I guess.

On the other hand Schönbrunn Palace would be maybe interesting for your girls. as well the Ferry Wheel at Prater which will be open, as well a wintermarket in Prater take place.

Kind regards_Chrissy

Easton, Maryland
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Year's Eve with kids

I have a different take. My wife and I are also visiting Vienna over New Years. I spent my junior abroad there in the 60's and have been back a few times since, though not on NYE. However, we're going because Vienna puts on a great NYE party from 2pm-2am with fireworks at midnite. To quote from the official Vienna web site: "On December 31, Vienna's old city center transforms into a giant party zone: From 2 p.m. in the afternoon to 2 a.m. the following morning, top entertainment is guaranteed by the New Year's Path in the city center, at City Hall Square and in the Prater. Along the New Year's Path, dozens of gastronomes serve you punch and culinary treats. Numerous stations provide humorous entertainment with a show program, waltzes, an operetta, rock, pop and folk music as well as a DJ line-up. Especially popular is the classical area on Graben. The Vienna Dance Schools offer crash courses in the waltz on Stephansplatz, and a large fireworks display draws the crowds to the Prater and Heldenplatz." (www.wien.info) What could be more romantic than walzing with your daughters and wife in the city of the Waltz King?

I also think your kids would enjoy visiting Schoenbrunn palace and/or the Hofburg in the city center to see how kings and queens lived in a real palace; also a visit to the Schatzkammer to see the fabulous state jewels and other beautiful artifacts. This could engender a discussion about the values of those extravegent times and those of today. This would be particularly usefuf for your 12 yo as she approaches high school and learns more about world history.

Finally, I think a visit to the Spanish Riding School would be fun for everyone (check for times), as well as a ride on the giant Ferris wheel (Riesenrad) in the Prater.Maybe we'll run into each other there like Orson Wells and Joseph Cotten in movie TheThird Man :)

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
14,227 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Year's Eve with kids

JoeWaffle you last went to Vienna in the 60's and have never visited for NYE. I go every year and have been for NYE several times. I can assure you that you see very few kids out that night. I still contend it's mainly an adult event and that there are better times to visit with kids. But it's not impossible.

6. Re: New Year's Eve with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2014, 04:18