We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hi, should i get a weekly metro ticket?

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
hi, should i get a weekly metro ticket?

hi there

i will be in vienna for 4 days next week (thurs to sun). i plan to visit the following places. should i get the metro weekly pass (valid from monday 9am to following monday 9am) at euros 15? im staying near stephanplatz.

1.Graben and Kohlmarkt

2.St. Stephen's Cathedral

3.Trzesniewski

4.Ringstrasse

5.Imperial Palace (Hofburg)

6.Schonbrunn Palace

7.Belvedere Palace and Museum

8.Schoenbrunn Palace Christmas Market (night)

10.Naschmarkt

11.St. Charles's Church (Karlskirche)

12.Kunsthistorisches Museum

13.State Opera House

14.Rathaus (optional)

15.Christmas Market

16.Stephansplatz (optional shopping)

dining choices if near attractions:

• Restaurant Salzamt*

Demel café

Griechen Beisel

• 1516 Brewing Company*

• 7 Stern Brau*

• Gasthaus Poschl*

CANTINETTA am Ring - Cucina Italiana*

Jonathan & Sieglinde

• Brezlg'woelb**

• Da Capo*

Konditorei Heiner*

Vienna
Level Contributor
3,969 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hi, should i get a weekly metro ticket?

After 8 single trips a weekly ticket pays off.

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,182 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hi, should i get a weekly metro ticket?

I would - even though you can walk to most of those places, there may be a time when you are tired and want to grab the street car or ubahn to return to the city center. It's just nice to have when you need it and not have to scramble to find money to buy a ticket. What's 15 Euros when you are spending so much to travel.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
13,605 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hi, should i get a weekly metro ticket?

But you may well not do 8 trips. From where you're staying I'd walk to everywhere but Schönbrunn. On the odd occasion you may be tired a single journey would only cost €2.20 and for many of the places you're visiting there wouldn't be suitable transport.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hi, should i get a weekly metro ticket?

Thanks for the helpful replies. Will buses or trams be more convienent (ie closer to these destinations) n frequent? Is there a bus guide or tram guide online that I can use?

Edited: 10 November 2013, 02:16
Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hi, should i get a weekly metro ticket?

If you are arriving on a Thursday, you won't be able to buy a weekly ticket for the current week. They are only available until Wednesday - and if you try to buy one, it will be for the following week, not the week you are staying! (yes, I have been caught out by that :-)

You could buy a 72 hr ticket which won't cover your whole stay. Or you could just do as Norman suggests and buy tickets as you need them. If you're staying centrally you may not need to use the transport much, except for the trip to Schoenbrunn.

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hi, should i get a weekly metro ticket?

This website has timetable information:

www.wienerlinien.at/eportal/ep/home.do…

This (unofficial) website has useful information about the network, the types of tickets available etc.

…univie.ac.at/horst.prillinger/…index.html

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Ghana, Vienna
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hi, should i get a weekly metro ticket?

The first district of Vienna is really compact and small - see it on foot. You only need to take transport to Schonbrunn. The Belvedere is the "farthest" out of your listed places (aside from Schonbrunn) and you can walk there from S'platz in about 20 minutes passing beautiful buildings on the way.

You also say "Christmas Market," but Vienna has many - which one do you mean?

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hi, should i get a weekly metro ticket?

Hi,

I was intrigued by you saying you wanted to see Christmas markets, as I thought they were more centered around the dates of Advent (1 - 23 December). So I was surprised to see some of the Christmas markets opening as early as 15 & 16 November, which is in your window of being there 14 - 17 November.

austria.info/uk/winter-holidays-austria/chri…

But Schönbrunn's Christmas market doesn't begin until 23 November:

schoenbrunn.at/en/plan-your-visit/calendar/e…

As far as a pass for riding transit is concerned... I agree that the city center is very small and is quite walkable, but I did as KimBux suggested and bought the pass anyway. It came in quite handy on the two days that it rained and snowed while I was there, even though I was going relatively short distances.

Enjoy your trip.

Zed

9. Re: hi, should i get a weekly metro ticket?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2014, 05:17