We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is December a good time to visit Vienna

Manchester, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
is December a good time to visit Vienna

Hi, I am planning to travel to Vienna in this December. However, the weather there in Dec seems quite cold. I am wondering should I go this December or wait until next March or April maybe?

In addition, I am planning to stay there around 4 days. Will it be too long to stay in one city?

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
15,509 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is December a good time to visit Vienna

Hi Yvonne. Advent is a great time to visit Vienna especially with its world famous Christmas markets. Yes it can be chilly, but Glühwein and/or a coffee will sort that out. I don't think four days is remotely too long.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,716 posts
5,779 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is December a good time to visit Vienna

Vienna is a classy city to visit. Am envious of your ability to visit in December.

Agree with Norman, 4 days is not too long at all. With some research, you'll quickly find that there is much to do and see in Vienna to keep you very busy for that amount of time.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,716 posts
5,779 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is December a good time to visit Vienna

Linking to a similar thread on the Vienna forum of a TA Member asking about staying for one week in December.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g190454-i147-k6964…

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is December a good time to visit Vienna

I went to Vienna for the first time last December and spent 4 days there (the first week of December), and with the Christmas decorations and Christmas markets, it was magical. I saw and did a lot in those four days, and I would have liked another day or two to explore more.

The weather was chilly--around 0° C to 5°C--and there was a day of light rain then light snow at night, making having an umbrella necessary.

Enjoy.

Zed

Maquoketa
Level Contributor
2 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is December a good time to visit Vienna

I will be taking a river cruise, starting in Vienna, Austria on Dec. 1st. visiting the holiday markets. My German is really poor, will I find a language problem?

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
15,509 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is December a good time to visit Vienna

No, English is widely spoken.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,716 posts
5,779 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is December a good time to visit Vienna

Vienna is very much open to the English language!

Maquoketa
Level Contributor
2 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is December a good time to visit Vienna

Thank you for answering so quickly. I do know please and thank you in German and hopefully my accent isn't too bad. Now if I can just relax about the Euro. :)

9. Re: is December a good time to visit Vienna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 November 2014, 05:16