We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exchange Euro before or after leaving Vienna?

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Exchange Euro before or after leaving Vienna?

Hello! I've been studying abroad in Vienna and I have extra euros that I wont need, I was wondering if anyone knows if it's better/cheaper to exchange the euro for USD before I leave Vienna or when I arrive home in Boston?

Thanks!

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
15,671 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exchange Euro before or after leaving Vienna?

Keep them for your next visit!

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,497 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exchange Euro before or after leaving Vienna?

Agree with Norman - keep them for your next trip. I never exchange money when I leave because I know I will be back and will need them when I get off the plane.

(There's really no better/cheaper place to exchange money. Just don't ever do it in the airport.)

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
20,139 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exchange Euro before or after leaving Vienna?

unless you have an enormous amount and need the dollars, I would agree with the above. don't forget, they can be used pretty well anywhere in Europe.

changing in a bank will cost you around 5%

Edited: 27 November 2013, 15:28
Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exchange Euro before or after leaving Vienna?

okay thank you!

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exchange Euro before or after leaving Vienna?

Numerous alternatives -

1. save your euro especially if planning to return to the Euro Zone in the near term future and not needing the money now in dollars. many banks will not make this exchange in their offices , especially if for small amounts. Another good alternative for you-

I assume if you have been in Austria for some time you have opened a bank account.

You can use your Bank O Mat card to get dollars from ATM machines in the USA with little cost after you return home. This method not just safe but with the dollar seeming to lose value regularly trend for some time now make a few dollars on the exchange.

The cost exchange is not high.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,047 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exchange Euro before or after leaving Vienna?

Do use up all or as much of your loose change as possible. If you do decide to exchange your Euros for USD, you can usually only exchange the notes not the coins.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Exchange Euro before or after leaving Vienna?

I agree with Vegas-guide that banks in the U.S. won't accept euro coins for exchange back to dollars, but I like to hang onto some coins for my next trip back. They come in quite handy for all those pay toilets.

Vadnais Heights...
Level Contributor
272 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Exchange Euro before or after leaving Vienna?

I traveled to Europe, Asia and other areas frequently for years.

I did not bother with changing exchanging the small amounts when leaving and always brought them home. I normally started out with about 5 or 10 -U$100 bills and few credit cards. If I thought I would return, I would save some bills. The few bills I kept were important to take some of the bills I saved to use initially to get through and out of the terminal and to my hotel/cab quickly and easier.

I also used the paper seed money for future trips and to give as gifts. I would give it to my kids or my grand children some at events (birthdays, graduations, etc.) along with a few photos to get them interested in the rest of the world and travel in general. So far, I have 45 countries worth of trinkets. It is surprising what some foreign currency does to attract an interest in other countries. The languages on the currency, different colors, multiple, languages and images stirred a lot of interest and questions. Many people are surprised by the number of zeros on the old inflationary bills (the old Zloty notes were very good and interesting and seemed valuable) or something like the number of languages/dialects on an Indian Rupee note. Now, when I travel, I get reminders to bring back some bills and information instead of just gifts.

There is a danger in this - My grand-daughter's junior high German class is going to Europe and they will be looking for a few chaperones for group of teenagers.!! That may take the fun out of traveling.

Dick

9. Re: Exchange Euro before or after leaving Vienna?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 December 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Vienna