We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vienna Sample Itinerary

Which Vienna hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
241 posts
Save Topic
Vienna Sample Itinerary

I am looking to see if this Vienna itinerary is doable without much hassle. I will be in Vienna in June. Please don't get hung up on the scheduling, they are just guidelines to plan out my days and are likely to change depending on the site. Note, I am choosing Schonbrunn over Hofburg for palace life, though will be visiting the Hofburg for the other on-site attractions. I hope to be in Vienna on June 28 for the 100th Anniversary of the Assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand, though that was a complete coincidence until I realized the date significance several months into the planning. I hope to visit the WWI exhibit at the Vienna Military History Museum then. Other than that, just wishing for beautiful weather. Thanks! :-)

DAY ONE (Thu)

Flight Arrival (8a)

Cafe Central (11a-12p)

Ringstrasse Tram (12p-1p)

Vienna State Opera (1p-2p)

Kunsthistorisches (4p-7p)

DAY TWO (Fri)

Stephansdom (9a-10a)

Graben und Kohlmarkt (10a-12p)

Demel (12p-1p)

Schatzkammer (1p-2p)

Neue Burg and National Library (2p-4p)

Kaisergruft (4p-6p)

Prater und Riesenrad (7p-10p)

DAY THREE (Sat)

Palace and Gardens of Schonbrunn (8a-3p)

Vienna Military History Museum (4p-6p)

Mozart and Strauss Concert (8p-10p)

DAY FOUR (Sun)

Train to Melk (9a-10a)

Melk Abbey (10a-12p)

Lunch (12p-1p)

Danube River Cruise (2p-5p)

Train to Vienna (5p-6p)

Evening Heuriger (7-10p)

DAY FIVE (Mon)

Karlskirche (9a-10a)

Naschmarkt (10a-12p)

Train to Salzburg (1p)

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,303 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vienna Sample Itinerary

Ringstrasse Tram (12p-1p) - don't take the Yellow Tourist tram... you can accomplish the same toute by taking the 1 and 2 - search the forum for exact change location or jsut ride around at your liesure.

Schonbrumm (8a - 3p) - it won't take you that long unless you plan to have a picnic and hang out.

WHen you go to St. Stephan's - take the stairs or elevator to the top and be sure to visit the catacombs. Both are really neat to see.

Try to get to teh Central Cememtery to see the resting place for Mozart, etc... and tgry to get to Prater to ride the Big Wheel.

Have a great trip!

Boston...
Level Contributor
241 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vienna Sample Itinerary

Thanks, KimBux! I consider Schonbrunn to be in the Top 3 highlights of my trip to Austria, so I'm allowing as much time as possible there, which would include the Grand Tour of the Palace, Carriage Museum, time in the gardens up to the Gloriette, big lunch at Cafe Residenz and apfelstrudel show. If I finish early, then that will just allow more free time so I'm not rushing about the city and maybe squeeze something else in at the end of the day.

As for the cemetery, I don't know...I've read about it, but for some reason, I just have no interest in seeing the gravestones of famous people. But definitely a ride up on the riesenrad, and a stop at the Schweizerhaus for some stelze! :-)

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
14,227 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vienna Sample Itinerary

At last someone who's done some homework! Mind you you are probably stuck inside keeping warm in Boston!

A few observations:

Day 1: You've a two hour gap between your tour(?) of the Opera House and the KHM, but they're only a 10 minute walk apart. You could fit the Schatzkammer in on the walk between them or just stroll up and down the Ring - you see much more on foot than from any tram.

Day 2: The Kaisergruft will only need an hour or less, not 2 hours.

Day 4: You could get off the boat at the lovely village of Dürnstein which has some delightfully atmospheric Heurigers.

With you on the Stelze, but get one between two!

Edited: 07 January 2014, 17:01
Boston...
Level Contributor
241 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Vienna Sample Itinerary

Norman, that was my exact plan, though I should have showed it. That time will be for walking the Ringstrasse in addition to the tram tour, walk the Rathausplatz, Parliament, maybe see the Karlskirche instead of on the last day, Mozart statue...but also give me some leeway in case I'm running a little late.

That's good to know about the Kaisergruft because I thought I was going leave the Neue Burg early and not give it enough attention. Thanks! It is pretty cold here today! :-)

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vienna Sample Itinerary

Hi Mike,

One question... Are you flying in from Boston and then plan on hitting the day running as soon as you get off the plane?

I don't know whether you can sleep well on a plane or how you handle jet lag, but that first day may be a bit ambitious if you're arriving straight from Boston. I've found that I usually run out of energy by mid to late afternoon. Even so, I try to force myself to stay up as long as I can, and that usually means 6-8 pm that first day I'm there. (I can rarely sleep on the overnight flight over.) I hope it's a non-issue for you.

As far as Schönbrunn, I really enjoyed the self-paced audio tours. You could move through the palace as fast-paced or as slowly as you like, and Schönbrunn is certainly someplace to savor.

Also, part of the National Library is the Globe Museum. Anyone who travels has to have a modicum of interest in geography, and I found seeing how the world was perceived on 400+ year-old globes quite interesting.

http://www.onb.ac.at/ev/globe_museum.htm

Finally, like you, I planned out a day-by-day, hour-by-hour itinerary for my visit to Vienna in December 2012. I found that that itinerary quickly went out the window as I wandered the streets and just enjoyed some spontaneous exploring into real neighborhoods away from some of the popular sites. Good to start with a plan, but be ready to put it aside if you discover something interesting along the way.

You'll have a great visit.

Zed

Boston...
Level Contributor
241 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Vienna Sample Itinerary

Zed, been to Europe several times and that is a typical first day for me. I'll be fine, that's how I roll. Like I said before, don't get hung up on the times, I know in the end the schedule will be different, but it's nice to have a guideline of the day's activities. Thanks. I'll check out the Globe Museum.

7. Re: Vienna Sample Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2015, 06:22