We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train ticket from vienna to zurich

Baguio, Philippines
Level Contributor
73 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Train ticket from vienna to zurich

Hi everyone!

I want to ask if its possible to book a train ticket from Vienna to Zurich on the day of travel. Will the price be the same as when I book a ticket in advance? I hope someone can help me on this.. Thank you..

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,519 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train ticket from vienna to zurich

If you buy your ticket on the day you leave, then the standard fare applies. If you buy in advance, then you might get one of the cheaper fares which logically come with restrictions in exchange for the low(er) price.

Baguio, Philippines
Level Contributor
73 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train ticket from vienna to zurich

Thanks for the reply...

So meaning, reservation is not necessarily a must? I am planning to travel this April...

Sorry, its my first time to travel in Europe so I don't have any idea regarding train travels and stuffs.. hehe

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,519 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train ticket from vienna to zurich

No, (seat) reservations aren't a must! If someone wanted to have a guaranteed and allocated seat, then s/he would have to get a seat reservation prior to departure. And this is only recommendable if you wish to travel on one of the hot dates (days prior to Christmas, beginning of school holidays etc.).

Baguio, Philippines
Level Contributor
73 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train ticket from vienna to zurich

I see... So I assume there is a high chance I can get a seat on April right?

And there wouldn't be any problem to just buy on the spot? errr.. is April on the peak season for traveling? Thanks again!

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
15,354 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train ticket from vienna to zurich

Easter falls in April so it could be busy on the days people start and finish their Easter vacations.

Baguio, Philippines
Level Contributor
73 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train ticket from vienna to zurich

what about first week of April? does that count?

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,519 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train ticket from vienna to zurich

No "busy" days in the first week of April. Seat reservation thus not necessary! Get your ticket at the station and board the train, take a seat where you want (except reserved seats which are marked).

Before boarding the train check whether the train composition actually consists of two train services (coupled together) which are later separated in Salzburg. There are basically trains which run as "double tractions" to Salzburg and then get split with one continuing to Zurich and the other one going to Munich. Where are a train (or one of its cars) goes to is shown on digital displays.

Baguio, Philippines
Level Contributor
73 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train ticket from vienna to zurich

Thank you very much for the information.. I will just double check it with the clerk at the train station... Thank you! thank you! thank you!

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train ticket from vienna to zurich

Just to be clear - trains never sell out. You can always buy a ticket for any train on the day of travel - you will not be refused a ticket. The only advantage to buying in advance is that you might save money. Advance tickets also require that you pick a specific train/date/time whereas a ticket bought at the station allows you to take any train.

A seat reservation is an entirely different matter. You don't have to have one on OeBB trains. Most people traveling to do not make a seat reservation and they just get on and find an empty seat. If the train, however, is full then you just stand up until you find a seat. You won't be kicked off the train if there are no seats available.

Baguio, Philippines
Level Contributor
73 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train ticket from vienna to zurich

hi thanks!

That information made me relieved... I just hope I won't get confused with the trains and go somewhere unplanned.. hehe..

cheers!