We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transit time at Vienna airport

Glasgow
Level Contributor
391 posts
Save Topic
Transit time at Vienna airport

Hi Folks

I'm currently looking at flights to New Zealand via Tokyo where I intend to do stop-overs on the way there and back.

Current best option by far is Austrian Airlines to Tokyo via Vienna. However the flight only has a transfer time of 45 mins (all booked on one ticket) at Vienna airport which leaves very little room - having never been to Vienna airport or flown with Austrian Airlines I don't know whether this is likely to be an issue?

There is an alternative earlier flight to Vienna but unfortunately it's at 6am which means no sleep, an expensive transfer to the airport and a 4 hour wait at Vienna which significantly lengthens the flight. So no a very attractive alternative all round!

Any thoughts appreciated.

PS Only one flight a day Vienna - Tokyo so if I miss it I lose a day of hols......

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,081 posts
742 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transit time at Vienna airport

It's feasible. As you got one go ticket, you should be able to transfer to the Tokyo flight. Otherwise, they would not sell this kind of ticket.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,895 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transit time at Vienna airport

Another important question is where you will leave from?

Glasgow
Level Contributor
391 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Transit time at Vienna airport

Heathrow so it's Heathrow to Vienna then onto Tokyo.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,895 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transit time at Vienna airport

As you will be arriving from the UK, which is not part of the EU-Schengen Area, you can directly proceed to your gate without going through passport control. That saves precious time! Don't worry, you will make it!

Glasgow
Level Contributor
391 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Transit time at Vienna airport

Amazing thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,081 posts
742 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transit time at Vienna airport

You got a better connection. I would be going to Japan from London but I have 6-hour transit time as my original departure is different place. Hopefully the return should be smooth with 1-hour buffer.

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Transit time at Vienna airport

hi just wanted to know if you cant get out of the airport can you stay in the transit hotel inside the airport in vienna please reply thank you

Edited: 02 March 2014, 12:46
vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transit time at Vienna airport

The NH hotel - is the only hotel in the airport locale ( just across from the terminal) is not part of the terminal itself and requires exit from the terminal-

you must go through passport control,

Several other hotels claim to be at or on the airport. This is not correct just an advertising gimmick.

9. Re: Transit time at Vienna airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2015, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Vienna